Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing & Grouting Riven Slate Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lovin' diy

I have just finished laying a black riven slate floor in the kitchen and according to the company I purchased it from I have three tasks remaining(!) - in the order suggested : Colour intensifier (Lithofin), grouting and Stain stop (also Lithofin).

A few questions :

I have taken care to keep the slate clean as I have laid them, using a sponge and water, and there is no adhesive on the tile surface now. However, when the slate dries, you can see the wipe marks left by the sponge. Do I need to keep cleaning until this is removed - if so, any tips! - or will this be masked by the colour intensifier etc.

Any tips for effective grouting?

Any tips for applying intensifier/stain stop?

Thanks for your help - already picked up some great tips from exisiting posts!

D

DHTiling

This one has slipped through the net..:oops:

If you still need advice on this then shout out...

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi mate just done an identical job using lithofin

i wash the slate using clean water and 1 continual sweep of the sponge,,wash sponge after each sweep and change water as soon as it gets cloudy this will help these3 dried in brush marks left which i have found are caused when using not so clean water.

once it has dried i applied lithofin colour intensifier using a mini roller...also apply a decent amount as i also find if your too heavy with the roller and not enough liquid it can leave roller marks on the slate..allow to absorb..any puddling of intensifier left after mop up with a cloth or kitchen roll..once dried same again with the stain stop allowing the stone to absorb what it wants and remove any excewss again at end..hope this is of use and good luck:thumbsup:

Last edited:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i think you can also get lithofin stain stop plus which is intensifier and stain stop mixed but have never used it,,may save you some time:thumbsup:

good quality sponge also will make your job easier..cheap sponger get ripped up by slate i also find and i use a toothbrush for removing grout from the natural crevices in the slate

Last edited:

Reply to Sealing & Grouting Riven Slate Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen