Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Screws for fixing 6mm tilebacker board to ply. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dingabell

I'm over boarding a ply floor with 6mm backer board in a couple of weeks time and wondered what fixings people recommend?
I'm presuming the ply will be 12mm so ideally I'd like them to be less than 18mm to avoid any pipework. Does this sound the way to go?

Q

Qwerty

If it is a solid cement type board such as hardi or aquapanel, then use screws but if it is an encapsulated foam core board then use screws and washers.

As chalker says though.....don't forget the adhesive.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
If the ply is going straight to joists, 12mm isn't enough! If you're concerned about height, add noggins, screw 18mm ply at 250mm centres (someone can confirm or deny the distance for screws, as I'm not 100% sure, off the top of my head!?!), then use Ditra I stead of backer boards. ;)

D

dingabell

You're right. The floor will probably be 18mm but thinking about it, I'm now fairly sure it's tongue and groove chipboard rather than ply. Can't really overboard it with ply so I'm hoping that 6mm Hardibacker bedded onto thin set and screwed down will be enough?

D

dingabell

Any particular favourites for adhesive for the floor? Was thinking Mapei Keraflex Maxi? Have also seen Mapei mapeker rapid set flexible, which is very cheap but I'm not sure how good it is?

Reply to Screws for fixing 6mm tilebacker board to ply. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks