Search the forum,

Discuss SBR or PVA in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Kanon1

-
Reaction score
I need to re-tile my front door step after the tiles came away during the winter. The mix under the tiles was damp and crumbling away and so I have removed the tiles and the bedding mix and taken it back to some bricks and concrete. I need to reform the step to tile which means increasing the height by about 2 inches and repairing the front step facing. My plan was to use a PVA slurry and then concrete on top but I'm concerned about bonding using PVA in a damp area and wanted to know if using SBR mixed in the with the concrete would be ok to tile on top of. I understand that SBR is a water-proofer and wasn't sure if tile adhesive would stick to concrete that contained a water proofer (SBR).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards,
Mark

20210707_100031.jpg

20210707_201923.jpg

Reaction score
Always SBR over PVA. Tiles will stick fine with a good S1 adhesive. You can always slurry coat the step first. Dilute SBR 50:50 and mix with adhesive. Brush on and leave to dry.

Reply to SBR or PVA in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen