Search the forum,

Discuss Save or scrap JOTM in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

The recent low entries and poor number of votes for the entries make me wonder if the JOTM has run its course.
In the past reasons for members not entering was purely that they had seen early entries and thought they could not compete.
But why the low voting ?

Any thoughts? Is it worth saving?
Anyone with pictures they wish to show can still do so in Show your work thread.
Personally I want it to stay but I also want to see the members show their appreciation for their fellow tilers.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Neale I for one would like to see jotm stay, I love to see other tilers work, maybe the general down turn in work has had an effect on the number of entries. I must admit I don't get as many challenging jobs as I used to.

But I have said in the past I would rather see a perfectly executed splash back, than a poorly set out geo job or shiny bathroom that is not quite up to scratch. So I say long live jotm and joty. Just my opinion. I agree about the lack of votes though.:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

What about combining the 2? Everything that goes in the show us your work thread is automatically entered?

I dont think entering their job without permission is a good idea and if they did want to enter then why dont they just do that ?

D

DHTiling

Votes : Do you not send out email to members when voting opens..?... As for JOTM ... i have said what IMO might get entries but i've left that with Admin.

It is only meant to be for fun and the bonus of winning ,, Don't make it more than it is.. let it run and there might be good months ofr entries and there might be bad months for entries , it is as said only a fun thread..

It takes time for Admin to run it but that is what being an admin is.. running things.

A

Aston

keep it neale. jotm is one of the pluses on this forum that stands it out.
i reckon the low votes will just be a sticky patch and it will improve very soon..light nights and optimism returning etc ;0)

i have 2 ideas for a revamp...

1. you could have a points system for entering
.the winner gets the over all title and 10 pts
.every entry gets 5 points just for taking part

you could have a little league table for a bit of fun and competetive spirit. this way there's an incentive for entering a splash back or a step. enter every month and you get 5 points and rise up the table..even if you never win jotm, you could still finish high up the overall table.

idea 2
.you could have more than 1 winner? due to a few categories ie

1. stone tiling 2. bathroom renovation 3. general tiling

so if you get a great entry like eduardos, you will still enter your bathroom tiling/renovation because it will be judged in a seperate section (if its porcelain/ceramic and not stone!! or even if you do a step in quarry tiles, then that might stand a chance in the general tiling section..

you could still apply points here too!

anyway, just thought i'd throw some ideas in the hat to help out.

B

Bubblecraft

I don't enter as my work is straight forward bathroom & kitchen tiling. The work that's normally entered is bespoke works of art!

It would be a shame to see it go as I love seeing the outstanding work that is entered.

D

DHTiling

I don't enter as my work is straight forward bathroom & kitchen tiling. The work that's normally entered is bespoke works of art!

It would be a shame to see it go as I love seeing the outstanding work that is entered.

I don't agree Gus mate , all jobs that you are proud of should entered ... not just Geo floors etc..

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I want it to stay, I have only just entered my first job on there in Jan, some guy called Eduardo entered a half bodged average job and won...... Go figure!!!!!

Seriously though I think it's a great thing on the forum, I do think most hold back on the entry because they don't think they have a chance. I will be entering more that's for certain. As for the low votes, that's a strange one, could it not be set up so members get an e-mail if they don't log on often telling them to vote?

G

Gazzer

Good thoughts Ed, I like the idea of the points system. I will give that some thought.

The only issue with your second suggestion is that we just dont get the number of entries and it would rely on getting more prizes and trust me its hard enough to get one !

D

DHTiling

Cracking idea Ed on the points system , i wonder if there is a Vbulletin add on that would enable a table of some sorts .. been a while since i was on VB forum..

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'd like it to stay and regardless of what it is the next tiling job I do will be entered! To be honest the JOTM badge would be worth more to me than the goodie bag!

Reply to Save or scrap JOTM in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen