Search the forum,

Discuss sanding travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kev

Is it possible to sand a lip off a honed travertine tile, looked at a job this evening and while i was there the lady asked if i could do anything about a few lipping tiles on a kitchen floor, if i can sand them then what do i use and how?

D

DHTiling

Hi Kev..

This isn't a job for anybody to just have a go at.... small lips can be sanded down with varying grit levels of diamond pads but you need to know what you are doing or you could make a total hash of it..

It's not just a case of sandpaper...

P

pawelkruk

Hi Kev, I have done this before using a polishing disk on a hand grinder after a tiler made a right pigs ear of a job last year. You can slowly work an area down using plenty of water not to burn the stone. Then you might need to use a colour enhancing sealer to bring the colours back to the tile.

E

enduro

Not as easy as it sounds, unless you have the right tools, diamond pads, Honing powder etc. :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Hi Kev, I have done this before using a polishing disk on a hand grinder after a tiler made a right pigs ear of a job last year. You can slowly work an area down using plenty of water not to burn the stone. Then you might need to use a colour enhancing sealer to bring the colours back to the tile.

I wish it was as simple as that..:lol:...

You need to use a fair coarse grit pad( 50/60) first to remove the bulk of the lipping and then you go up the grits to get back the required finish of either honed or polished..

You also have to work back into the field tiles to blend back..so not as simple as just blasting over with a sander and colour enriching ..

P

pawelkruk

What I should have said is exactly what you commented on in your last response. Sorry if I made it sound a simple job as it isn't.

A

aqua blue

Another solution could be to remove the badly layed tile and correctly relay with a spare or the original if it lifts undamaged.

Reply to sanding travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen