Search the forum,

Discuss Riven slate floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

Eddie

Hi hows it hangin lads. Just a wee question for u all. I've just been to price a job, 16m2 of slate floor tiles in a consevatory. the lady was told because it is riven slate it is less porus, so needs less sealing, is that right?. I've never used slate before are there any pitfalls with it. any of you're experiences with slate good and bad would be appreciated.

cheers eddie
----
Oh yes, also how much adhesive will i need for 16m2 of slate tiles on a concrete floor, and will it have to be a flexi adhesive. The concrete floor is very rough, it looks worse than my garage floor, and i get sore knees on that. maybe thats just my age:sad_smile:. still 21 in the head though:wink_smile: .

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sc24

it still needs sealing whatever, so take no notice of that get the floor flat with some self-leveling (bal multibase is ok) i would use a flexi just to be on the safe side you never can tell what your going to get with slate, as regards to addy if its uncalibrated slate then i always allow 2-3m2 a 20k bag, if you do the job make sure you backfill the edges and corners so there are no voids

R

Ric

lay those thick ones first and use thin ones around edges. just laid slate in kitchen and my advice is to take your time getting tiles even cause i have a few with lips because i rushed at beginning!! thats my advice m8, all the best

C

CLAYS TILES

I agree with sc24 there,always seal them prior to grouting......Gaz

gaz wot do you use when sealing?
here's the stupid question coming......................ready...............

wot do u mean when sealing? all over or just the grout lines?

i've laid slate but never sealed them, first time i had ever used slate! quick job done for a builder!!! don't usually do rush jobs may i point out!!!! :shades_smile: shady!

S

sc24

i use lithofin slate seal or stain-stop w if you dont want to change the appearance, seal the joint as well, will keep them looking fresh

S

sc24

the grout can migrate into the surface and stain especially polymer modified grouts, you can end up with a 'picture frame' effect

Reply to Riven slate floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen