Search the forum,

Discuss Right, , , , ,New Build, , , Time for tiling !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Let me ava'go.

:book: ok, enough reading on the forums, decided my plan of action, post it here and see what you all think. . .

I am building a house, and Im coming up to the tiling pritty fast. . . .
I have a contractor in for the build, , , going well so far, , , screed going in tomorrow. . . . all the walls have skim on them . . ready for painting/tiling.

ok, batrooms, we are tiling the floor and behind the shower, and also splashback on sinks. .

kitchen, floor.
pourch, floor.
utilitly and back hall, floor.

more than likely ceramic throughout, unless i see a fab kitchen floor tile porcelin.

all tiles will be decent size for the areas, save on grouting/cutting/tiles.
house is 2 story, hollowcore, solid block walls.

QUESTIONS.

1, on the walls on the house, currently new skim. can i go straight in and tile these, why have i read somewhere about priming, , ,

2, really confused about adhesives, flexi, non flexi, single part etc.. . .
for my walls and floor can i use the same adhesive. does it have to be flexi stuff? is this better? was planning on using the below for both from B&Q, its a Mapei brand.
Buildfix Single Part Super Flexible Adhesive White 20kg, 8022452048104

3, tiles are going to be the standard size in bathrooms, about the size 200mm by 240mm. kitchen tiles bit bigger, hopefully getting a nice practical tile, , , not all fashion here, , , im not going cleaning them every hour. What do people say about B&Q Tiles, we just like the selection, and we are going for a right look this weekend also.

4, Grout i see the somepeople are, "white on walls, grey on floors", any particular brand, again, B&Q will be handy as im going ther.. . unless someone can point me to a place in belfast for other stuff.

tink thats it for now. . .lol. . . if i get advise on these it would be great, ,
thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

If your using a tubbed adhesive then no primer but check the gear your using, if powdered adhesive priming will be required Mapei primer g or bal apd.

What tiles will you be fixing to the skimmed walls

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't save on cutting by using large tiles. They can actually be more difficult to cut on both wet or dry cutters due to their size! Just so you know ;)

I'd go for a tile and tile size that you like. Though my personal preference are large format to be honest.

Reply to Right, , , , ,New Build, , , Time for tiling !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen