Search the forum,

Discuss render over tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cgalloway

The exterior of my house is covered with smooth ceramic tiles, approx 2"x6" each. I'd like to render over these to provide a textured finish but I'm not sure how to do it. The local practice seems to be to plaster over the tiles before painting on a textured finish, but this seems a bit labour intensive, not to mention expensive. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether its possible to apply a textured render directly over the tile (perhaps after a primer), something like Dulux Full Cover texture (though this is apparently for brick), or even better a spray on solution (Acratex?). Any ideas?

W

White Room

Hi and welcome....I'd ripping them off to be honest, you don't know how they were fitted or how they will take the weight of the render.

C

cgalloway

The tiles seem pretty well stuck on, I removed some of them already when I installed new windows. The issue I think is going to be with adhesion. I wonder if I could rough up the tiled surface with an abrasive wheel on a grinder, something like that? I'd prefer a DIY approach as the standard of competence/honesty around here is not terribly high and I'm not sure I have the time for a long haul approach.

C

Ceramico tiling

you could also score them all over the place with your hand held grinder(with a diamond blade)

G

Gazzer

I am not a plasterer or renderer but I know that Mapei Eco Prim Grip can be used if you were retiling over the existing.......assuming the existing tiles are suitably fixed .

Reply to render over tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen