Search the forum,

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

What made you apply pva to render, did you thin it out or put it on neat

W

White Room

Quite thin so may have soaked in, could (in the shower area) apply hot water and using a scrubbing brush on the surface and clean water to remove any residue

C

christine

Quite thin so may have soaked in, could (in the shower area) apply hot water and using a scrubbing brush on the surface and clean water to remove any residue
do we then prime it when dry? Do we just prime the other walls on top of the unibond or will that then be a case of the adhesive just sticking to the primer which is sticking to the unibond! Never knew tiling was so complicated perhaps someone should introduce an "idiots guide" for people like me!

How do we prepare the plywood floor ? thanks a lot

W

White Room

Should have no need to prime render unless it may be dusty, leave the other walls as the unibond you put on was quite thin.
i take it that the ply is already down, normally the ply would be primed uderneath where it sit on the floor boards and edges to stop any moisture ingress, check the information on the adhesive bag wether it needs priming or not on the surface your going to tile

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nealgrove

I am tileing over old ceramic tiles,was told to unibond pva over old ones first,Wrong??????

R

Rainbow

Hi
I have a recently plastered en-suite which has a 50/50 emulsion primer on it.
I want to tile the whole room and am going to use BAL Rapidset adhesive - do I still need to use a primer such as BAL primer??
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks

N

nudge

I am tileing over old ceramic tiles,was told to unibond pva over old ones first,Wrong??????
yep! - just wash the old tiles down propery & use something that will bond direct to the. i like Mapei Kerabond plus/isolastic50 - been using & recomending it now for 15 years without 1 single problem - easy!

D

doug boardley

Hi
I have a recently plastered en-suite which has a 50/50 emulsion primer on it.
I want to tile the whole room and am going to use BAL Rapidset adhesive - do I still need to use a primer such as BAL primer??
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
yes Rainbow, especially if it's a gypsum type plaster:thumbsup:

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen