Search the forum,

Discuss Punter seeks advice for tiling built-out hole in wall fire in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

angelas

Hi,

I'm a punter. I've been left with a built-out 'box' that sits on an outside wall that houses a 'hole-in-the-wall' gas fire by the fire fitters who refuused to plaster or tile (not their skill set).

The fire is radiant at the front and on one side so imagine the rectangular fire sitting 400mm from the floor intersecting one edge of the built-out fire 'chimney' The dimensions are 2400 x 1005 x 345 mm.

I'm looking for advice on how to tile this. Heat is radiant from the fire as mentioned but the design encourages a large amount of heat to be convected inside the chamber from an air grill low on one side to two scoop vents high up on each side. The fire breast has been built from fire-resistant board with glasroc written on it. When in use the wall area above the fire gets too hot to touch.

I'm looking to install Antalya marble with the minimum of grout.

I'm going to be quite frank now. I find that a good number of tradesmen tend to bull me. And the best defense I have is to arm myself with the knowledge to do a job so I'm able to detect those who haven't a clue and want to 'wing it'.

So, which adhesive? Which grout (if any) and an other wrinkles that a good craftsman tiler will know and a rookie won't please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Punter seeks advice for tiling built-out hole in wall fire in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen