Search the forum,

Discuss Proper Job - Sink Back splash - How? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leonardo

Hello all,

Please see the attached pictures. I am a Diy'er.

The Wall - multi finish - painted.
The worktop - laminated chipboard.

I want to create a black-splash (including the side of the sink) to protect the rear/side of the chipboard worktop from water that could potentially get through to the back and sides.

Big items will be washed in this sink and water will end up splashing about.

I need to know what a proper job from here would entail, to make sure that the worktop is protected from behind and the side.

Others in the house are suggesting it should just be normally tiled with silicon on the bottom between the bottom of the tile and the worktop.

My confusion arises from the fact that if grouting is not waterproof, what is the best way to do a good job.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Leo.

I

Attachments

• A.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 159
  • B.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 139
  • C.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 169
  • D.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 132
  • E.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 140
  • F.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 141
  • G.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 144
  • H.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 208
G

Gazzer

Remove paint, tile with cement based adhesive, grout with a quality cement grout or even Epoxy grout. Seal where the tile meets work surface ( remember to leave a 2mm gap between tile and surface) If you have used a cement grout you could apply a grout sealant over the grout. You could even tank the area but it overkill IMO.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as above.please remember this is not a shower area

there is not going to be alot of water on the tiles imo ,the grout will be fine

L

Leonardo

Problem is that it is multi finish, over bonding, over brick.

It's only two weeks old.

Is it right, that it needs to be left for 4 weeks to dry (even though it has been painted by the builders and shouldn't have been).

Thanks,

Leo.

Reply to Proper Job - Sink Back splash - How? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen