Discuss Priming and prepping before tiling in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Afternoon all, hope you are all having a good weekend.

I am going to be tiling the splashback in the kitchen this week, which is my first attempt at tiling.

The walls are plasterboard with magnolia paint on them from when it was built (2016).

I am a bit confused as to what I need to do before I lay the tiles. Do I need to sand this down before I start tiling so that the tiles and adhesive adhere better to the walls? Do I need to use Primer? Do I do both?

Many thanks all.

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For the best results is either sandpaper or Stainley knife cut marks then you apply primer

11705473_1098444760185199_8641248656116810060_o.jpg

Reaction score
Afternoon all, hope you are all having a good weekend.

I am going to be tiling the splashback in the kitchen this week, which is my first attempt at tiling.

The walls are plasterboard with magnolia paint on them from when it was built (2016).

I am a bit confused as to what I need to do before I lay the tiles. Do I need to sand this down before I start tiling so that the tiles and adhesive adhere better to the walls? Do I need to use Primer? Do I do both?

Many thanks all.
On painted walls get a tilers primer that is specifically for going over paint or non porous surfaces a normal primer won’t do anything. You can sand it off but it’s a lot of work you need something like the plasterers use which is called blue grit it has an aggregate in it which after it’s gone off you can tile directly too it.

Reply to Priming and prepping before tiling in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks