Search the forum,

Discuss Prime Surface or NOT in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

waynestores

Hiya Guys,

Can one of you experts please tell me on which surfaces I should be Priming the walls/floor, and when I can get away with it...many thanks

V

Varley

All sufaces generally require some priming mate, did you have one in mind that you thought didn't?

W

waynestores

Do you recommend any and is it very expensive? and why do you need to use it, what does it do exactly?

V

Varley

I generally just use the granfix primer as that is the brand of adhesive I use, best to use the primer from the same manufacturer as your adhesives.

Lots of peeps on here say BAL primers are spot on!

Priming an area before tiling with PVA just seals the dust etc down, thats all.
Priming with acrylic primer seals in the dust aswell as acting as a bonding agent between the tile adhesive and the substrate...In a nutshell it helps the tiles stick to the substrate a lot better. Some backgrounds (if not primed) will sap the moisture straight out of the adhesive causing it not to set correctly and tiles will just fall off the walls. Thats why I always prime with acrylic primer.

Hope this helps :)

E

EA Tiling

Its always good to prime before you tile, as mentioned the moisture is sucked out too quickly and your wall tiles then become floor tiles, which is ok if you want a mosaic floor???

Lots of primers are available such as Ardex P51, BAL APD, Weber Hi-Flex, Bal-Bond etc.

Never prime if you are tiling over tiles, the adhesive will do the sticking job just fine but always use a good quality adhesive. A lot of tiler i know seem to find one they like or get on with and use it regardless, the point here is that there are hundreds of different types available and all for a specific purpose. They were invented for a reason!

If you go to Ardex.co.uk and submit your details, they (free of charge) will send you a whopping great big folder full of everything your tiling heart desires. Even if you dont use thier products the info within tell you almost everything you need to know, what to use and how to prepare including all materials and specifications etc.

G

GazTech

Its always good to prime before you tile, as mentioned the moisture is sucked out too quickly and your wall tiles then become floor tiles, which is ok if you want a mosaic floor???

Lots of primers are available such as Ardex P51, BAL APD, Weber Hi-Flex, Bal-Bond etc.

Never prime if you are tiling over tiles, the adhesive will do the sticking job just fine but always use a good quality adhesive. A lot of tiler i know seem to find one they like or get on with and use it regardless, the point here is that there are hundreds of different types available and all for a specific purpose. They were invented for a reason!

If you go to Ardex.co.uk and submit your details, they (free of charge) will send you a whopping great big folder full of everything your tiling heart desires. Even if you dont use thier products the info within tell you almost everything you need to know, what to use and how to prepare including all materials and specifications etc.
Wivers certainly landed on his feet getting to work with you Al !!
icon10.gif

Reply to Prime Surface or NOT in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen