Search the forum,

Discuss Prime or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Can anyone advise me, do I need to prime skimmed plasterboard before I tile with a readymix adhesive and also i feelhave removed as much of the old adesive of the walls as possible with this be ok to tile over?

G

grumpygrouter

you don't need to prime if using ready mix addy, but it wouldn't harm if you did. With skimmed plasterboard, be aware that the safe weight limit for tiling is 20kg/m2, including adhesive and grout.:thumbsup:

D

davy_G

Prime or not? Depends on the type of adhesive you use as GG says. I use Ardex D20 and it is self priming. Cheeper alternatives might need priming.

Remove all the old adhesive, or as much a possible as bumps on the surface mean difficulties tiling, especially with larger tiles!

L

LM Ceramics

wouldnt hurt to prime the wall i always rpime newly plastered walls better to be safe than sorry

D

Droopy

I depends if the plaster has been polished or not.
If not, then no need to prime.
If it has, you need to roughen the surface up,
then prime either with BAL Bond SBR (1:4 with water)
or BAL APD (1:1 with water)

Reply to Prime or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen