Search the forum,

Discuss preparing painted walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Guitardedleon

Sorry, didnt see the replies

anyway, so far the room is prepped.

what I did:

stripped 90% of the paint off the walls ( absolutely knackering! )
the paint that would not shift , I scored like mad then scraped the loose flecks/dust down
gave it a quick wipe all over

used a 3:1 water/sbr all over - 2 coats and let go off

set the room out and made a cut list. Battened the walls ready to tile in the morning.

should be mainly set to go now.

as an aside:

the main tile is a plain 330x250x8 ceramic and I have a glass mosaic sheet to give it a little something to take away from what would otherwise be a plain room indeed.

when cutting the sheets to length ( say half way through a square ) will a score & snap do the trick?
the sheets are 300x300 grids of small glass squares, I am cutting the sheets down in to rows of 2

I have the worlds worst wet cutter and to be honest never want to use it again if possible!

also when bedding the border I'll need to build up the addy behind, any tips for that? or in general for mosaic/borders

M

mike1979

So if I've read this right your putting a 2" border say somewhere in the middle or just below ??? If so I think that's too small it will be a ***** to build that out flush and the weight of the tile above will slightly squash it what I would do is when you get to the border measure out 4 squares batteren it and leave the border till last when everything is set get a scraper and sticky the gap then butter the mosaic hit flush with your grout float let it set a bit then get a damp brush to clean the joints sponge clean job done you could cut the mosaics with a good pair of nippers can be hard until you've mastered using nippers as glass mosaics shatter I hate them wear gloves and goggles trust me

G

Guitardedleon

I think I've got that.

so double the height of my border from 2 squares to 4

fit all tiles above & below then, once set, install the border

the border is roughly 3mm, Ive seen guys use the above & below tiles as a guide for like a screed
by dragging a block notched out to the correct depth which leaves behind a solid & built out bed for the mosaic.
is that the right way?

I always wear goggles & gloves, better safe than sorry
I remember slicing my hand on a rough edge once! :thumbsdown:

Reply to preparing painted walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen