Search the forum,

Discuss preparing painted walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Guitardedleon

I have tried and tried to shift this bloomin paint from the walls!

used a steamer, it works, incredibly slowly and with a huge amount of effort

getting around 0.5sqm every two hours!! well would be had the steamer not packed in!! :mad2:

in this situation what would a professional do?

I do not want to sand the walls down, the room is too small to warrant the amount of dust.

the paint is a silk by the looks, quite resilient and only the one layer on plaster.

can I tile onto this paint if scored to high heaven?

if not, how am I to get this off? I can feel the frustration building to near boiling point! :(

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You sure its not gloss paint as that is oil based and will just repel the steam and not allow it to penetrate?

G

Guitardedleon

its very tough paint whatever it is. I'm not convinced it is gloss though as it is coming off, albeit slowly.

Ill have another go in the morning, in fact i'll pop a photo up too.

I know tiling onto paint is a no-no & would rather a job done properly, even if it means a ton of extra work!

If it is gloss however, How would you remove it?

M

mike1979

If the paint is on and it's not coming off dare I say it leave it buy a 115mm diamond flat disc from screw fix put it on a mini grinder go over the whole lot to give it a key sponge it clean and tile it I use a water based paint tanking system for pools and tile on it all the time

G

Guitardedleon

If the paint is on and it's not coming off dare I say it leave it buy a 115mm diamond flat disc from screw fix put it on a mini grinder go over the whole lot to give it a key sponge it clean and tile it I use a water based paint tanking system for pools and tile on it all the time

oh it's on alright lol.

i don't have a grinder & would rather go without the added expense right at the moment for this job

on my larger rooms & other house I wouldn't mind.

i do have a multi tool if there is a suitable attachment?

tried washing the walls with some detergent & water ..didn't budge what so ever , whereas a Matt emulsion would wash off.
so it's likely a vinyl silk.

ps. Mike, noticed you are from aber! Lovely little place that! Used to go as a child.:thumbsup:

M

mike1979

oh it's on alright lol.

i don't have a grinder & would rather go without the added expense right at the moment for this job

on my larger rooms & other house I wouldn't mind.

i do have a multi tool if there is a suitable attachment?

tried washing the walls with some detergent & water ..didn't budge what so ever , whereas a Matt emulsion would wash off.
so it's likely a vinyl silk.

ps. Mike, noticed you are from aber! Lovely little place that! Used to go as a child.:thumbsup:
yes aber is not too bad I used to work in cardiff for Taylor tiles on cowbridge road but everyone has different views on paint I've tiled over paint and not had any comebacks if it's shiny or very smooth you need to either sand it a little bit or use a wire brush then sponge any dust off let it dry bond it with acrylic sealer not pva that's crap and away you go

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I wouldn't be using a steamer it will only weaking your plaster skim coat ! Get yourself a make shift scorer , by cutting the handle of an old saw , and let the teeth on the saw do the scoring of the wall by using an downward or upward motion , pulling it through the paint ! Then remove the dust and prime!

G

Guitardedleon

I wouldn't be using a steamer it will only weaking your plaster skim coat ! Get yourself a make shift scorer , by cutting the handle of an old saw , and let the teeth on the saw do the scoring of the wall by using an downward or upward motion , pulling it through the paint ! Then remove the dust and prime!

Good tip, thanks.

What would i prime with?

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Always Try to match your primer with your adhesive, if not then Any sort of acrylic primer , by bal weber, Dunlop , mapei or whatever your local supplier stocks, as long as it's not pva !

Reply to preparing painted walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen