Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Porcelain Tiles Unbonded in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bill

Those galaxy tiles may not be true granite and some 'fake' granites are not suitable for UFH. There could be numerous reasons why this has failed.

J

Just Rizzle

wrong addy imop as the addy used has stuck to the P VA d floor and not the tiles. porcelain needs a certain type of addy also back buttering is a must when tiling porcelain tiles. you haven't got a leg to stand on as most manufacturers recommend back buttering

B

Bill

wrong addy imop as the addy used has stuck to the P VA d floor and not the tiles. porcelain needs a certain type of addy also back buttering is a must when tiling porcelain tiles. you haven't got a leg to stand on as most manufacturers recommend back buttering
The bag does say porcelain though Ray.

P

p4ulo

were they powdery before they were stuck down? Sounds like the adhesive has not stuck to the back of the tiles for some reason....6mm on a floor is a bit thin too, are they bowed at all, therefore sticking at the ends but not in the middle?

J

Just Rizzle

think I tried a bag some years ago .thought it was very sandy. but didn't use it with ufh.
did you read the instructions on how to mix and apply

M

MW Smith Ceramics

The tiles were not back buttered - should they have been?

It's a solid concrete floor which has been in for four years - the underfloor heating went in at this time and was turned on Dec 2015, it was only turned off to tile.

We turned it on at the lowest setting after two weeks.

The tiles are porcelain.

They are very powdery on the back - could it be this?

What adhesive would you recommend?

Q

Qwerty

That's a rapid set cement. As well as no back buttering, possible dust on backs of tiles and PVA used as a primer, my guess is that you have probably mixed the adhesive too stiff but maybe also left it too long between trowelling the adhesive and laying the tiles. Most rapids only have a pot life of around 30 minutes and an open time of around 15-20 minutes

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I think tiling directly onto 6mm ribs of adhesive with with 600x 600mm tiles is asking for trouble.......I would be working with a 12mm adhesive trowel on the floor and on the the back of the tile off the high spot in the floor then working with an edge off that......you need 100% adhesive coverage on your tiles, I your fixing method and and possibly the wrong adhesive have caused you the installation failure here......how did you manage to fix large format tiles onto a 6mm bed of adhesive ??....surely there was a few lips showing

Reaction score
Im guessing that these tiles have been purchased online? Now i dont see anything wrong with that (as we too sell online) but seems that the wrong tile fixing products have been purchased.

youve mentioned the UFH and its been commissioned, sorry if ive missed it but what type of screen is it?

T

Tile Shop

*To clarify....this is not the post deleted by moderating staff, but by the poster themselves*

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

The above post has been deleted.

This is not appropriate @Paul C.

Do not use the forum as a mouthpiece for the organisation that employs you.

tilersforums.com has no affiliation with Walls And Floors whatsoever!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The above post has been deleted.

This is not appropriate @Paul C.

Do not use the forum as a mouthpiece for the organisation that employs you.

tilersforums.com has no affiliation with Walls And Floors whatsoever!
Nobody has said anything against the supplier. I've had quite a bit from this supplier, with no problems. I think the problem is with wrong fixing and thermal shock!
If I buy a boiler or a bathroom from a merchant, they don't tell me how to fit it.
That's what professional tradesmen are for

B

Bill

Nobody has said anything against the supplier. I've had quite a bit from this supplier, with no problems. I think the problem is with wrong fixing and thermal shock!
If I buy a boiler or a bathroom from a merchant, they don't tell me how to fit it.
We don't know if a pro was used yet - but anyway, even if they did it themselves, I would still expect a certain amount of help from the shop.

O

Old Mod

Not saying anything has been said against the supplier Chalker.
If you did not see what was posted, then please do not make assumptions, that's how things get misinterpreted.
The post was not malicious in any way.

Reply to Porcelain Tiles Unbonded in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks