Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain tiles - adhesive cost and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ccm404ds

Hi All,

Ive just ordered 23msq of 600 x 300 glazed porcelain tiles, the shop wanted £80 for adhesive which caught me off guard a little as I hadnt budgeted for that (its the first bathroom I have ever had done lol). The tiler has asked me to get everything in for him. My question is, does £80 seem right for 23msq? How many 20kg bags should I need? What should I use?

The walls are reasonable straight although I think one wall may need a couple of mm of adhesive to get the brick effect right. the same tiles are going on the floor and I'll put down some ply, is 6mm ply ok?

The tiles seem glazed but the edges dont seem to be, should I seal them? again what sealer should I use and how much should I be paying?

One other thing is the walls were painted with bathroom paint a couple of years ago, what should I prep them with or is this something you would expect the tiler to do? I have a big tub of PVA left over, is this any good?

apologies for being such a noob :grin:

Many thanks in advance for any help

Che

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aejrd

why isnt yr tiler sorting all that out 4 you ?..av been using 6mm ply for years and never had any probs but 18mm is recommended.

F

Fekin

Nothing I could really add to Sibs post, though I would have been telling the customer exactly what is needed or really sorting it all out myself.

C

ccm404ds

Cheers guys, your help is most appreciated, will call the tiler and see what he prefers. Thanks again for all your help.

:8: on me :grin:

P

penno

Cheers guys, your help is most appreciated, will call the tiler and see what he prefers. Thanks again for all your help.

:8: on me :grin:

Call the tiler and say no thanks and get another tbh mate. All this should have been discussed with you, exacly what adhesive is needed/how much of it and you should have been advised on the ply required.
If the adhesive is a good brand then £80 seems very cheap for a retail price (will need about 5 bags of 20kg so ensure the tile shop is pricing for that much).
Tiler may be working from a small car etc etc so may not have the means to pick up all the materials but should have at least made you aware of everything that is required for the job.

Reply to Porcelain tiles - adhesive cost and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen