Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain floor tiles coming loose in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gul

Hi, I have just joined the forum and am looking for some info. I have bought & had laid (about 3 months ago), some cream B&Q 600 x 600 porcelain tiles. I must admit they looked pretty good. However, I have now noticed that some of the tiles are loose at the corners. When I tap the tiles they are fim in the centre, but a few sound loose at the corners.

I used a very reputable tiler, who came highly recommended, the products he has used, I'm told are high quality. I went back to the supplier and they have contacted their technical people who are saying that the adhesives should be ok

Any idea what this might be ?

D

Deleted member 9966

you need to get the Tiler back in to have a look. with big format tiles like that you need a solid bed adhesive to ensure full coverage on the back. if they're sounding hollow around the edges, you need to ask the tiler how he fixed them. you can find out how deep the adhesive bed was by asking him what size trowel he used.

G

Gul

He's coming round this evening, do you know of any problems like this being attributed to anything specific? I've heard some stuff on wax coatings etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

You need to find out how he fixed them first. It might not be the tiles that are the problem. It could be the fixing method, it could be problems with the adhesive. You need to get your tiler to help you find the source of the problem and then we'll be able to find a way to help you rectify it.

have any of the tiles actually come loose yet or are they just sounding hollow?

G

Gul

One thing I've had mentioned is the joint size, the tiler used 2mm joints with underfloor heating, is this an issue ?

D

Deleted member 9966

One thing I've had mentioned is the joint size, the tiler used 2mm joints with underflor heating, is this an issue ?

on a floor the Britist Standard recommendation is 3mm grout lines. 2mm and you're pushing it a bit.

how soon after laying the floor was the underfloor heating commissioned and working?

Reply to Porcelain floor tiles coming loose in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen