Search the forum,

Discuss Plywood Expansion Gap in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Boondocker

Hi all, new member here.

Some quick questions re 18mm plywood subfloor which will have 6mm insulation boards (marmox) fixed on top.

What should the expansion gap be where 2 sheets of ply meet if one is needed at all and at outside edges where the ply meets the wall?

If a gap is needed what should it be filled with to stop the adhesive used to put down the insulation board getting into the gap?

Any adhesive recommendations? I presume a single part flexible cement based one is needed.

Thanks in advance.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi @Boondocker
If you're going to be insulating the Ply from your UFH it's not necessarily critical to allow for dedicated expansion in your ply. However, use a 3mm tile spacer when fixing/installing your ply sheets.
Again there is no real need to fill these joints with anything specific. Use a single part flexible adhesive to bond your boards down and this will be sufficient.

Reply to Plywood Expansion Gap in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen