Search the forum,

Discuss Plastered Walls 20kg/sq.m in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chr15athome

Yeah just skimmed but what about the difference in the walls that are untiled I don't think it will look right. I could use a trim to cover the deeper tiled edge but I don't think the client will want that.

Thanks

Chris

T

Time's Ran Out

IMO your being too cautious.
What you are intending doing is not practical.Sticking another layer of plasterboard which is not waterproof onto a plastered wall and reducing the size is not the answer.
If its a walk in shower you would be better off spending your time and money on tanking the walls and giving the customer extra value.:thumbsup:

C

chr15athome

Removing the whole of the plaster and plaster boarding is definately unnecessary. Has anyone had to remove the skim before? Is it relatively easy, presume I would just knife around the area then remove it from the middle.

Thanks

Chris

C

chr15athome

Being too cautious, how do you mean?
Do you mean the tile weights?

Overboarding seems a suitable solution to me apart from the added thickness.

Chris

G

grumpygrouter

Removing the whole of the plaster and plaster boarding is definately unnecessary. Has anyone had to remove the skim before? Is it relatively easy, presume I would just knife around the area then remove it from the middle.

Thanks

Chris
Not sure why you think it is unnecessary. You are exceeding the accepted weight limits if you put those tiles on that substrate. Tearing down plasterboard walls takes about 5 minutes and reboarding doesn't take that much longer on the areas you quote. Better to be safe and tile on unskimmed board than risk the possibility of the tiles pulling the wall down on someone. But, as we can't see what you can see we can only advise from a distance.

T

The D

just use 6mm backer board to overboard and that will be waterproof and will take the weight.

C

chr15athome

Yes I think that is my best bet, will just need to convince them.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get 6mm backerboard?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to Plastered Walls 20kg/sq.m in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen