Search the forum,

Discuss plasterboard thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David Goodier

Hi all,

I am slowly renovating a bathroom, and doing all the preparatory work prior to getting a tiler in. I have plasterboarded the walls by dot and dab and screwed to the flat wall, battened an irregular wall, and replaced the board on a stud wall, as well as built a short stud wall to provide a 3rd wall for a shower enclosure.

BUT...I've used 9.5mm plasterboard, though with lots of noggins so it is fixed at 300 mm centres or less.

Having read a few old posts I'm wondering if I should have used 12mm plasterboard?

I am planning on 10mm Travertine, the weight should be OK, but will 9.5mm be rigid enough?

Thanks,

David

W

wetdec

Hi m8

If your at 300 centres and its nogged at around 600 then it should be fine, why on earth choose 9.5, its for overboarding.

Good test hit it with palm of hand if its vibrating to much use 9.5's the other way.

tiler

D

davy_G

Hi David,
Sounds like you are doing well and working along the right lines. That is the flatter and more solid the walls are the better &more secure the job will be.
I use 12mm exterior grade ply in bathrooms, Some are not so keen as it likes to warp (although not with that amount of niggins). This means you can put towel holders, rads, mirrors etc anywhere without problems.
Some use a cememnt board that is totally water resistant, backer board, im sure they will be along and give its plusses.
Make sure and tank the shower/bath areas. I use a rubberised paint (most tile shops can supply). This will totally waterproofs your plasterboard and i really recommend you use it prior to tiling. Its easy to apply and you tiler should advise.

Goos luck with it.

D

David Goodier

Make sure and tank the shower/bath areas. I use a rubberised paint (most tile shops can supply). This will totally waterproofs your plasterboard and i really recommend you use it prior to tiling. Its easy to apply and you tiler should advise.

Thanks for this. I was going to use a couple of coats of some paint on stuff I got from Screwfix for the tanking, but having read some other posts was thinking about ditching it and using a membrane...

David

D

doug boardley

okay maybe you should have used 12.5mm p/board, but it sems like you've made a real effort with noggins etc and I'm su it will be fine!
well done, I just wish some of the site contractors where I work would be as conscientious!:thumbsup:

M

medlar

i would think the walls should be ok mate,but as stated previously,tank the area around the shower and the bath.
Personally,i wish my customers would put the same amount of time and energy into their walls as you have.Well done mate

F

frogeye

take a look at the ardex tanking kit. Only seen it demoed and as it wasn't available at the time I used the Bal product. IMHO not a patch on the ardex for ease of use. But each to their own.

frogeye (puts tin hat on and awaits abuse)

G

grumpygrouter

take a look at the ardex tanking kit. Only seen it demoed and as it wasn't available at the time I used the Bal product. IMHO not a patch on the ardex for ease of use. But each to their own.

frogeye (puts tin hat on and awaits abuse)
I have used the Ardex stuff a couple of times and recently a membrane kit from Wetdecs. Membrane from me from now on. Very easy to apply and tile-able straight away.:thumbsup:

W

wetdec

I have used the Ardex stuff a couple of times and recently a membrane kit from Wetdecs. Membrane from me from now on. Very easy to apply and tile-able straight away.:thumbsup:

Thank's m8 for your honest opinion, its hard for me to get it across as I dont like pushing our gear always better for an outsider view........:thumbsup:

tiler

F

frogeye

will bear in mind oh master :hurray:

mind you the chances of me using it are remote (fingers crossed)

D

David Goodier

Thank's m8 for your honest opinion, its hard for me to get it across as I dont like pushing our gear always better for an outsider view........:thumbsup:
tiler
I presume you mean the Durabase WP kit? The further info .pdf links on your web page don't work for me, and most of the info is about how to complete for a wetroom.
What do I do at the bottom of the membrane if fitting to a shower tray (to be tiled on 3 sides) and particularly the corners? I was assuming lay to the floor and silicone round the top edge of the tray (it is not tapered)?
TIA
David

Reply to plasterboard thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen