Search the forum,

Discuss Patches Of Loose Concrete Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JonR

Hello,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding patches of loose concrete substrate on a floor I am looking to tile. I have included some pictures to show the general state of the substrate whilst also showing particular areas of concern.

I have recently lifted the downstairs laminate, which was already down when I purchased the house. I am looking to tile the area with some 660mm x 400mm porcelain tiles. To my shock there are patches of loose concrete substrate under what appears to be some sort of liquid levelling compound, which is spread across the whole floor. In quite a few places where this compound hasn't quite broken up, it is hollow sounding to the tap.

So I am looking for some advice on what the best plan of action would be. Chisel off this compound from the whole floor? Break up the loose / hollow sounding parts and fill with new SLC? One thing to note, in places where the compound has broken up, the resulting concrete underneath is quite powdery and loose. So this may be the root cause of the problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jon

IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3086.JPG

Reaction score
I think your best to try and get that black stuff up. I don't know what it is but I'm guessing it's some sort of sealer.
Hopefully it comes off easily but, I'm sure some will peal off and some will be well stuck.

W

White Room

As above remove any loose areas of loose, the concrete remove any loose areas from that and stabilise with a 5/1 sbr.

J

JonR

Thanks for the supplies so far, that all seems logical. I am looking at using Keraflex Maxi adhesive for securing the tiles. I notice Mapei do a product that may be suitable for the underlying concrete, would you recommend stabilizing the powdery concrete below with "prosfas" or a similar product, or would the SLC be suitable over the top?

L

LM

Im doing a job right now as it turns out that has the same problem, it's an upstairs night club of an area of about 400 mts, the original screed is failing in parts badly. Re lifting the whole screed and relaying a new one simply isn't an option with this contract. The way we are getting round it is to litterly soak the entire screed with a first coat of Bottament D11 dilutted 2:1, then a second coat of neat D11. This soaks right down through the screed and stabilises it, it ends up stronger than steel if you get me. I'll attach some pics for you.
It was so poor that when we started to investigate the composition of the screed we could literally vacuum it away. The reason the slc has fails on your job is more than likely down to the fact that that it was done over a 'Pourus and Dusty substrate'

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

J

JonR

Thanks for your help Lee, I feel a little bit better about my situation now after seeing what you have had to deal with. Pictures speak a thousands words!

F

Flintstone

I'd get all the loose up and any that comes up easily with a scraper etc, clean it up and prime it with sbr until it's had a good soaking and it's not dusty, then level it again with some good slc, get it nice and you'll have a good surface to tile on

J

JonR

I have spent some of today starting to remove the old levelling compound that doesn't seem to have adhered very well. There are patches where it's a bit more bonded but I'm going to take it all up and start a fresh, prime the original screed as suggested and then level the lot. Hopefully that way I will be starting from pretty much a sound base and take it from there. I will let you all know how I get on. Should be tiling at the weekend, so we shall see how it all goes.

Thanks again.

Reply to Patches Of Loose Concrete Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen