• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Outside Tiling in cold weather.... in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Morning People, looking for some advance on Tiling outside in this cold weather. Temperatures are not due to go above 5degrees. I know it says on adhesive, 5 degrees and rising.
Has anyone had first hand experience Tiling in this cold weather? Will the adhesive fail, not set, etc etc

I’m using ardex x78s.

Thanks in advance

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
It won't set.....
I once tiled a porch in cold weather and sat there for 5 hours waiting for the rapid set to dry..... In the end I had to make a little tent, shoved my fan heater under it and as soon as I raised the temperature it set....

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Fast set will dry in around 12 hours ,
Even in freezing conditions , will also set under water , just allow extra time according to conditions

L

LM

Fast set will dry in around 12 hours ,
Even in freezing conditions , will also set under water , just allow extra time according to conditions
I have to disagree. I had a lengthy discussion with Ardex regarding this and they said it may harden but it won’t ‘stick’
I challenged them on how they tile in countries with extreme temperatures such as Norway or Saudi etc and they said that in a cold climate you have to create a warm environment and also bring all materials up to temp as well and the opposite is the same for hot climates. The chemical reaction required to cure the adhesives won’t occur outside stated temperature ranges. They can adjust batches for pot life and open time but that’s as far as it goes.
I’m not qualified enough to argue with German engineering and chemists so I’ll take their word for it.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Needs to be tested by a tiler...
Not by...
IMG_20171120_170912.png

:):):)

Reply to Outside Tiling in cold weather.... in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer