Search the forum,

Discuss Opus Romano in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

No probs..just my tile pattern sheets have it down as a french pattern.....but whatever it is a nice patterned effect when done...i have this pattern on my floor ( kitch)..

G

GazTech

You are right however the original Opus Romano standard was 4 sizes, 60x40, 40x40, 40x20, 20x20 anything else is really a 3 size pattern ( a real one cant be seen to repeat)

Limestone is being sold with a larger 60x60 init but its not seen often and usually antiqued.

Anything with a 30 x30 init is made up for customer pleaseing and usually involves slate.

wetdecs-opus-plan.gif

I also thought that opus was those sizes.....the Romana tile co supplied Topps with opus romana chiselled edged travertine in those very sizes.....Gaz

A

Alberta Stone

This floor is a Peruvian limestone/travertine and it looks like the opus pattern.
It didn't have a name for it on the boxes.

Attachments

• Job pictures 003.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 57
W

wetdec

This floor is a Peruvian limestone/travertine and it looks like the opus pattern.
It didn't have a name for it on the boxes.

Its not Peruvian limestone its Scabas Travertine.

See this is where the problem lies, Travertine is a limestone composition as it comes from lime solution bubbling up through hot springs and streams. When its in its full form then it is labelled travertine. The same can be said for marble its limestone, (some where it says the word marble means "to take a polish") which is what marble is limestone polished.

Its a bit like calling a car a tin........its made of tin......but is called a car.

The biggest reason for the problem....... The first 2 widely available travertines in the uk were called classico and colliseum, classico was the colour we see most often now and colliseum was blonde........they were both sold by 1 distributer...... as trav got more popular other distributers had to retain the mistique and maintain prices so you got names like ligurian limestone, bizantine, peruvian limestone........now you understand can you see it......:yes:

A lot of you guys ignore my question about what the name of or what a stone looks like when you ask advice..........its important as you dont treat a limestone like you treat a travertine................anyone that doesnt ask is guessing,,,,,,,!!!!!!

.. tiler:thumbsup:

B

BDS

I agree with wetdec if i`m remotley unsure i`ll always ask,cos as GazTech will tell you i`ve just ripped up 60m2 of marble and replaced with travertine,cos the guys who put it down never sealed it and it was covered in stains/residue and crap i think the more you understand the tiles/products/methods the better you and your skills become and your name will be around your tiling communtity your customer who`s the important one will be over the moon and will recomend you all day long to anyone and everyone

A

Alberta Stone

I actually have a box of pieces of that particular floor which I found in the shop storage and it states:
Natural Travertine Marble- Rustic
Patio Pattern
Stones from Peru
Product description:
Natural tiles produced in Travertine marbles of extraordinary hardness, blended in selected colors and with the best rustic finish.
-install with white thinset
-may be assembled with or without grout spacing
-if desired the natural holes that show on the surface may be filled with the thinset mortar or grout
-tiles may be used for floors and walls, interior or exterior
So I was wrong about it being limestone, it is travertine and it is then mislabeled on the box .
I can attest to its hardness as I cut the pieces and it was much harder than the epoxy filled and polished travertine which I put on the wall in the same pic.
I only posted the pic as it was something which was in the same pattern, but a different stone and I thought it would add some more substance to this thread.:yes:
travertine:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Formed from millions of years of sulfuric mineral springs percolating through Limestone deposits, Travertines offer earthy, old-world elegance and exude warmth and beauty in a variety of applications. [/FONT]
marble:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A metamorphic stone, Marbles are formed when the Earth’s pressure creates enough heat to fuse millions of years’ worth of calcified deposits into stone which is characterized by beautiful colors and dramatic veins.
limestone:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A sedimentary stone, Limestone has been used throughout the centuries as a popular building material. Limestones range in color from gray to buff with some pastel shades of pink and yellow, neutral shades that integrate perfectly with current color trends.[/FONT]
So marble, limestone and travertine are all in the same family, but have undergone different geological conditions which give them their variations.
Thus they need to be treated a bit differently.

Reply to Opus Romano in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen