Search the forum,

Discuss Ok so I made a mistake. Cutting a tile while it’s on the wall? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Ok so I embarked upon my first tiling job the other day.
it went really well and I’m happy with it.
As far as I can see I made one stupid mistake.
I haven’t taken enough out around the sockets and I can’t get my sockets back on. I need to take around 5mm off the tiles along the bottom of the sockets. BALLS.
Any tips on this? I was either going to scribe it with a tile scribe and straight edge, or feather it down and my angle grinder. A bit scared of the angle grinder because of the dust in my kitchen.

Reaction score
If it was me, I would use the grinder with someone else holding a hoover to catch the dust but you've got to be really careful cutting a tile once fixed as it could jump and mark the surrounding tiles, if you've got a good blade and they're ceramic tiles then it should be pretty straight forward.

Imo you've got more chance of slipping and marking another tile with a tile scribe and straight edge.

Reaction score
If it was me, I would use the grinder with someone else holding a hoover to catch the dust but you've got to be really careful cutting a tile once fixed as it could jump and mark the surrounding tiles, if you've got a good blade and they're ceramic tiles then it should be pretty straight forward.

Imo you've got more chance of slipping and marking another tile with a tile scribe and straight edge.
They are ceramic tiles with a good blade. I also just thought, what about a multi tool with a tile blade? I might have more control.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Depending on just how much you need to trim you could probably use a drill bit /finger mill to get the excess of seeng as it's only ceramic

Reply to Ok so I made a mistake. Cutting a tile while it’s on the wall? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen