Search the forum,

Discuss Newby Questions Please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

steadsy-boy

Hi all , another Newby I afraid , I been working with a self taught tiler to gain experience before I try to do it my self , done a course a few years back but never done anything with it because lack of experience and confidence , we been doing a lot of complete bathrooms for a large well known kitchen and bathroom supplier , fitters go in , strip and replaster where needed , we tile walls and floors then they fix but things I witness I have to question although the end result looks good and regularly praised, , so please can any professional tiler answer me these questions please

1 what are your thoughts on PVA is it necessary and when where would you use it

2 is it acceptable on uneven walls to dot and dab tiles to overcome poor substrates

3 when you have worked out your tiles are going does everyone work off battens ? I witness the tiler fixing bottom row first which are usually cuts and then works up , to me it just seems awkward and time consuming

4 when starting tiling from round the bath do you try and lay full tiles or always cut into the bath a they show on the training course

5 what happens if you don't tank shower areas and would you tank when shower on a bath attatchment

thanks in advance for you replies , can I just say it is a vey different ball game out in the real world to the class room but I gonna stick with it as I would like to achieve this for myself , if any one wants an oik to cut , grout , polish and make the tea in the west sussex ( Worthing ) area please give me a shout would love to see how its done by a profesinal

O

Old Mod

Ok so seems Pva is. No no so what would you use on new plaster or don't you ??
The primer that is recommended by your chosen adhesive manufacturer.
It may seem like I'm stating the bleedin obvious, but it happens to be true. Haha
Every adhesive manufacturer has laid down recommendations for different substrates, ignore them at your peril.
It's no more complicated than that, these are instructions u must read.

S

Stef

Ok so seems Pva is. No no so what would you use on new plaster or don't you ??
I use an acrylic primer or an sbr to prime walls & floors & not just new plaster.
The primer must be mixed at a certain ratio of primer to water so it doesn't skin once applied to the substrate.

W

WetSaw

I haven't used PVA since I got my Blue Peter badge for constructing a space rocket and several dinosaurs from cornflake boxes, toilet roll tubes and egg boxes...

Reply to Newby Questions Please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen