Discuss ***NEW HARDIEBACKER VIDEOS ON TILERS FORUM*** in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
A grinder will always be the fastest way, 12mm is tough but also the only board in the UK that can span 600mm centres without the joints bracing

12mm only needs tanking in a wet room and not a wet area. If a standard bathroom 12mm on stud taped then tile.

I'm only Huddersfield and happy to catch up sometime?

Reaction score
Why does the 12mm board not require tanking ?

The board is water resitant. Water cannot damage or degrade the board in any way. The board will absorb water and disperse it.

Only reason we tank is because the product underneath hates water and will degrade. So in a normal bathroom tanking isn't required and a great cost and time saver

F

Flintstone

12mm only needs tanking in a wet room and not a wet area.

I don’t agree with that statement mr backer!
Who wants a soaking wet board behind there tiles ? And I also don’t think there’s any difference in a wet room and a regular shower except the floor, and floor to wall transition.

Reaction score
12mm only needs tanking in a wet room and not a wet area.

I don’t agree with that statement mr backer!
Who wants a soaking wet board behind there tiles ? And I also don’t think there’s any difference in a wet room and a regular shower except the floor, and floor to wall transition.

Unlike other products our board absorbs water and disperses it. It will not have any issues, see our water tanks. I'll send you a picture, we have boards immersed in water for years.

Its our spec an I promise you it works! We sell over a million boards each year. Our new install guide is attached, see what you think?

Attachments

• 2018 HardieBacker Install Guide.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Q

Qwerty

When you say it 'disperses' it, what do you mean?

Say you have a stud wall on the back of a tiled shower enclosure wall that is subjected to water spray 4-5 times a day and a tile cracks or grout fails and the Hardibacker soaks up the water over a prolonged period. What will happen to the wooden studs behind and the wall behind that.

I personally disagree with the statement- 'in a normal bathroom tanking isn't required and a great cost and time saver'.
If the substrate absorbs water and disperses it into surrounding materials/ downwards onto a ceiling then this will cost more time and expense in the long run. I've seen it with my own eyes which is why I tank EVERY single shower regardless of the substrate.

Reaction score
The board will never let the water through to the stud. If you take a sheet of HardieBacker, stand it up and spray with water it will leave a mark where the water hits the board. Obviously excess water will run down to the floor. This will be less than a tanked board.

This is a bare board and would normally have tiles, adhesives and grout over the top. The board will begin to dry almost immediately. Where the water has touched the board you will visibly see. But within around 10/15mins although you will still see the mark it will be dry. The board absorbs water and disperses it back out, almost like breathing.

The board would never have enough water to soak through to the stud. Very hard to explain on here, I am working on a video to show case this as it does come up.

Hope this helps though

F

Flintstone

I don’t think that has any relevance to real world use. I left two boards out in the back yard in the rain and guess what, they were soaked through.

Reaction score
Left outside any product would be. The board works which is why we are the UK's number one backetboard. It simply cannot fail with water.

As I said the whole tanking part is the stop the product beneath failing. As our products don't degrade with water no tanking is required. In a normal shower and wet area the amount of water is never an issue.

You would never have enough water penetrating the tile, adheisve and grout then the board to get to a stud

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Don't shout at me.. anyway I asked this not so long ago of hardibacker and along with the instructions my understanding was that the board (6mm in my case) did not need tanking (it was for a shower cubicle). For the price and small effort to tank the area that's what happened.
The boards were attached to stud. I also understood (from Hardi) that it would would not stop moisture penetrating (my damp farm kitchen problem).
A water impervious board (if that's the right term) sounds sensible.
If, in a shower, the board gets damp then it stays as rigid as when dry?

Reaction score
The board is water resitant. Water cannot damage or degrade the board in any way. The board will absorb water and disperse it.

Only reason we tank is because the product underneath hates water and will degrade. So in a normal bathroom tanking isn't required and a great cost and time saver
So no need to tank shower. Wish I knew this before I spent 50 coins on Aquadefense.

Reply to ***NEW HARDIEBACKER VIDEOS ON TILERS FORUM*** in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley