Currently reading:
New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved

Discuss New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Max@ableskills

Able skills are proud to announce that after consultation with city and guilds and months of hard work by our tiling team that a new industry standard training qualification for wall and floor tiling has been approved. The qualification written by our tiling team and due to start in october 2012 will allow learners to achieve a full city and guilds qualification in wall and floor tiling enabling smooth progression onto the NVQ schemes.

This new qualification at last brings the wall and floor tiling industry in line with other trade skills such as carpentry, plastering, bricklaying and painting and decorating.

Look out for updates on our website on www.ableskills.co.uk or call 01322280202 for further details.

I believe updated details of this new qualification will be available from the city and guilds website very soon.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Re: New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification appro

I'm reading it as a "new industry standard training qualification for wall and floor tiling" that "will allow learners to achieve a full city and guilds qualification in wall and floor tiling enabling smooth progression onto the NVQ schemes".

So a new thing that'll gear people towards their NVQ's. So not a replacement.

Would that be right Max?

M

Max@ableskills

I'm reading it as a "new industry standard training qualification for wall and floor tiling" that "will allow learners to achieve a full city and guilds qualification in wall and floor tiling enabling smooth progression onto the NVQ schemes".

So a new thing that'll gear people towards their NVQ's. So not a replacement.

Would that be right Max?

That's about it in a nutshell Dan. It brings wall and floor tiling in line with other trades as listed before. It does not replace the NVQ because as you know the NVQ is about proving competance within your trade and is site based OSAT(or sometimes EWPA).

The City and Guilds qualification is a training qualification which outlines criteria that need to be met in the training environment. All units in the qualification are linked to requirements of the NVQ. Its more of an alternative to the Cskills construction diploma.

Duration of the course is difficult to ascertain as some learners may be day release, block release etc. All would be laid out in the learner's initial assessment plan.

The best way i can describe a parallel is the plumbing industry.

If you want to train as a plumber then you would undertake the C&G 6129 course. Once the course is complete and you are in the workplace you would then need to acheive your C&G 6089 to gain your NVQ and generate a skilled worker CSCS card (once you pass the CSCS test).

D

DHTiling

It is still worth nothing though as you cannot do NVQ2 for min 3 years of employment/working in tiling. then you can do the NVQ2 that will take up to 6 months to obtain through the faster route of EWPA.. unless NVQ's have been fast tracked even more.. then it deffo makes the qualification mickey mouse.

Just bugs me when these short course wave the city guilds logo in pupils faces... especially saying a full city and guilds..

im sorry but what use is city & guilds does it mean you know how to tile everything from a shop front to a swimming pool and then set out the tiling for the stairs in a office block,i have no city & guilds i served a apprenticeship of 6 years to me a piece of paper means nothing plenty experience does,just a shame the young people or others cant get into the trade as apprentices

T

The D

That's about it in a nutshell Dan. It brings wall and floor tiling in line with other trades as listed before. It does not replace the NVQ because as you know the NVQ is about proving competance within your trade and is site based OSAT(or sometimes EWPA).

The City and Guilds qualification is a training qualification which outlines criteria that need to be met in the training environment. All units in the qualification are linked to requirements of the NVQ. Its more of an alternative to the Cskills construction diploma.

Duration of the course is difficult to ascertain as some learners may be day release, block release etc. All would be laid out in the learner's initial assessment plan.

The best way i can describe a parallel is the plumbing industry.

If you want to train as a plumber then you would undertake the C&G 6129 course. Once the course is complete and you are in the workplace you would then need to acheive your C&G 6089 to gain your NVQ and generate a skilled worker CSCS card (once you pass the CSCS test).
So what are the guided learning hours for this full C&G Qual ?????

M

Max@ableskills

This qual like all the c&g level 1 quals are very much hands on but involve less classroom based activities than the diploma.

Dont get me wrong there are still some written underpinning knowledge requirements to this qualification but not as much as the diploma.

This qualification contains practical activities, underpinning knowledge and health and safety awareness.

M

Max@ableskills

There are 8 units in total most of which are working from basic specification, drawings etc. As well as practical activities written underpinning knowledge, risk assessments and method statements need to be completed for each unit. The units include:-

Preparing multiple surfaces to receive tiling
Prepare set out and fix ceramic tiles to a wall area including cutting around obstacles
Prepare set out and fix ceramic tiles around a window opening
Measure and drill tiles to deal with first and second fix plumbing
Remove existing tiles, repair area and renew tiles
Prepare, set out and fix tiles to a floor area
Cut floor tiles for pipework, wastes etc
Prepare, set out and install area to receive tile in 45 degree pattern

Learners would need to also demonstrate knowledge of working with other materials such as natural stone and porcelain.

M

Max@ableskills

I.C.A, that takes me back. We used to deliver these but they were then replaced with the Cskills construction diploma. We still offer the construction diploma but we have produced this tiling qualification so as it is more specific to tiling only.

The basis of the old I.C.A unit 147, identifying and preparing internal and external background surfaces to receive wall and floor tiling is incorporated into this new tiling qualification

M

Max@ableskills

Taking into account the GLA for this level 1 qualification it would be almost impossible to cover every single aspect of background preparation outlined in ICA 147.

To cover every aspect then the construction diploma route at level 2 would be a better bet.

What is covered is the learner being able to identify and prepare/repair the most common substrates that they would encounter at a domestic dwelling (internal and external) and demonstrating underpinning knowledge from classroom exercises knowledge of all the substrates listed in the specification of ICA 147.

As well as classroom exercises from our instructors, learners have the option of joining in on a BAL workshop which we have here regularly at our training centre. BAL reps come in and take a group of our learners and discuss as well as conduct practical demonstrations of adhesive/grout selections in connection with tile/substrate variations.

M

Max@ableskills

Had a few phone calls and email enquiries recently about ournew city and guilds tiling course.
We have learners already enrolled onto the city and guilds4555 wall and floor tiling course and uptake has been pretty good.
However I think to avoid confusion and to clarify I shouldadd the following:-
This course can ONLY be undertaken at Ableskills as it is “centrelocked” to us or in other words exclusive for us to deliver.
The main reasons that it is locked to us are as follows:-
1. It has been written by ourselves and as such wehold exclusivity on the product.

2. Ableskills has been approved to deliver amultitude of city and guilds courses for nearly 10 years (as well asConstruction skills NVQs). To be able to deliver city and guilds coursestraining centres/colleges are subjected to external verification by theawarding body.

What that means is External verifiers fromthe awarding body check that what you are delivering as a centre/college is inline with current national occupational standards, specific assessment criteriaand that learning outcomes are being met.
External verifiers also check that thestaff delivering the training are vocationally qualified and are A1 assessors.
They also sample at random learners’portfolios to see if they have been internally verified by centre/collegestaff.

As you can see centres/colleges have tofollow strict guidelines to be able to deliver qualification courses. NOT ALLTRAINING CENTRES DO THIS!

With our experience in delivering city andguilds courses and as there is no current city and guilds tiling courseavailable, we approached the awarding body with the intention of creating a tilingcourse meeting all occupational standards whilst being backed by the awardingbody.

After ten months of hard work I personallyformalised a course.

Several draft documents and revisions were placedin front of the city and guilds committee until it finally gained approval.

On a personal note I feel that afterworking in the industry for the past 25 years including 10 years’ experience teaching this fantastic trade that I am fairlywell qualified to put this course together although I am happy to admit that weall learn new things every day and I am certainly no exception to the rule.

So there you have it guys and girls (Rant over)hope that clears things up for everyone.

Finally since formulating this course Ihave accepted a personal invitation by city and guilds to work with them on aconsultancy basis in developing further courses including Levels 1,2 and 3 inwall and floor tiling with the intention of the courses being nationallyrecognised. These courses are likely to be months if not years in development.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than tosee this trade fully recognised by City and Guilds.

So until such time C&G 4555 is what wehave.

T

The D

Had a few phone calls and email enquiries recently about ournew city and guilds tiling course.
We have learners already enrolled onto the city and guilds4555 wall and floor tiling course and uptake has been pretty good.
However I think to avoid confusion and to clarify I shouldadd the following:-
This course can ONLY be undertaken at Ableskills as it is “centrelocked” to us or in other words exclusive for us to deliver.
The main reasons that it is locked to us are as follows:-
1. It has been written by ourselves and as such wehold exclusivity on the product.

2. Ableskills has been approved to deliver amultitude of city and guilds courses for nearly 10 years (as well asConstruction skills NVQs). To be able to deliver city and guilds coursestraining centres/colleges are subjected to external verification by theawarding body.

What that means is External verifiers fromthe awarding body check that what you are delivering as a centre/college is inline with current national occupational standards, specific assessment criteriaand that learning outcomes are being met.
External verifiers also check that thestaff delivering the training are vocationally qualified and are A1 assessors.
They also sample at random learners’portfolios to see if they have been internally verified by centre/collegestaff.

As you can see centres/colleges have tofollow strict guidelines to be able to deliver qualification courses. NOT ALLTRAINING CENTRES DO THIS!

With our experience in delivering city andguilds courses and as there is no current city and guilds tiling courseavailable, we approached the awarding body with the intention of creating a tilingcourse meeting all occupational standards whilst being backed by the awardingbody.

After ten months of hard work I personallyformalised a course.

Several draft documents and revisions were placedin front of the city and guilds committee until it finally gained approval.

On a personal note I feel that afterworking in the industry for the past 25 years including 10 years’ experience teaching this fantastic trade that I am fairlywell qualified to put this course together although I am happy to admit that weall learn new things every day and I am certainly no exception to the rule.

So there you have it guys and girls (Rant over)hope that clears things up for everyone.

Finally since formulating this course Ihave accepted a personal invitation by city and guilds to work with them on aconsultancy basis in developing further courses including Levels 1,2 and 3 inwall and floor tiling with the intention of the courses being nationallyrecognised. These courses are likely to be months if not years in development.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than tosee this trade fully recognised by City and Guilds.

So until such time C&G 4555 is what wehave.
and i have maybe i will see you at the next meeting :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.