Search the forum,

Discuss New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Max@ableskills

Able skills are proud to announce that after consultation with city and guilds and months of hard work by our tiling team that a new industry standard training qualification for wall and floor tiling has been approved. The qualification written by our tiling team and due to start in october 2012 will allow learners to achieve a full city and guilds qualification in wall and floor tiling enabling smooth progression onto the NVQ schemes.

This new qualification at last brings the wall and floor tiling industry in line with other trade skills such as carpentry, plastering, bricklaying and painting and decorating.

Look out for updates on our website on www.ableskills.co.uk or call 01322280202 for further details.

I believe updated details of this new qualification will be available from the city and guilds website very soon.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification appro

I'm reading it as a "new industry standard training qualification for wall and floor tiling" that "will allow learners to achieve a full city and guilds qualification in wall and floor tiling enabling smooth progression onto the NVQ schemes".

So a new thing that'll gear people towards their NVQ's. So not a replacement.

Would that be right Max?

M

Max@ableskills

I'm reading it as a "new industry standard training qualification for wall and floor tiling" that "will allow learners to achieve a full city and guilds qualification in wall and floor tiling enabling smooth progression onto the NVQ schemes".

So a new thing that'll gear people towards their NVQ's. So not a replacement.

Would that be right Max?

That's about it in a nutshell Dan. It brings wall and floor tiling in line with other trades as listed before. It does not replace the NVQ because as you know the NVQ is about proving competance within your trade and is site based OSAT(or sometimes EWPA).

The City and Guilds qualification is a training qualification which outlines criteria that need to be met in the training environment. All units in the qualification are linked to requirements of the NVQ. Its more of an alternative to the Cskills construction diploma.

Duration of the course is difficult to ascertain as some learners may be day release, block release etc. All would be laid out in the learner's initial assessment plan.

The best way i can describe a parallel is the plumbing industry.

If you want to train as a plumber then you would undertake the C&G 6129 course. Once the course is complete and you are in the workplace you would then need to acheive your C&G 6089 to gain your NVQ and generate a skilled worker CSCS card (once you pass the CSCS test).

D

DHTiling

It is still worth nothing though as you cannot do NVQ2 for min 3 years of employment/working in tiling. then you can do the NVQ2 that will take up to 6 months to obtain through the faster route of EWPA.. unless NVQ's have been fast tracked even more.. then it deffo makes the qualification mickey mouse.

Just bugs me when these short course wave the city guilds logo in pupils faces... especially saying a full city and guilds..

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score

im sorry but what use is city & guilds does it mean you know how to tile everything from a shop front to a swimming pool and then set out the tiling for the stairs in a office block,i have no city & guilds i served a apprenticeship of 6 years to me a piece of paper means nothing plenty experience does,just a shame the young people or others cant get into the trade as apprentices

A

Aston

i suppose you can only do whats available to you. its better than nothing i suppose..

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

That's about it in a nutshell Dan. It brings wall and floor tiling in line with other trades as listed before. It does not replace the NVQ because as you know the NVQ is about proving competance within your trade and is site based OSAT(or sometimes EWPA).

The City and Guilds qualification is a training qualification which outlines criteria that need to be met in the training environment. All units in the qualification are linked to requirements of the NVQ. Its more of an alternative to the Cskills construction diploma.

Duration of the course is difficult to ascertain as some learners may be day release, block release etc. All would be laid out in the learner's initial assessment plan.

The best way i can describe a parallel is the plumbing industry.

If you want to train as a plumber then you would undertake the C&G 6129 course. Once the course is complete and you are in the workplace you would then need to acheive your C&G 6089 to gain your NVQ and generate a skilled worker CSCS card (once you pass the CSCS test).
So what are the guided learning hours for this full C&G Qual ?????

Reply to New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen