Currently reading:
New build wet room

Discuss New build wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PRT

Hi All,
I need to make a wet room with alcoves for my clients. It is on the ground floor with UFH in the screed. I have left the shower area of the screed out so I can create fall to the drain which is a 100mm pop up at this stage.
The shower is enclosed on 3 sides by timber walls, 2 internal and 1 external. It is 1200mm by 1350mm with the drain in approx the centre. I am lining the walls with cement board.
Am I best to form the floor with sand/ cement or use a pre formed tray? If sand cement what fall should I put in?
What tanking system would be best for this application?
How far past the edge of the shower should the tanking be?
What sort of adhesives , grout , silicones are best?
I live on an island off the west coast of Scotland and there is no one locally I trust to do this job.
Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi...i find schluters kerdi or durals wp membrane the best tanking system along with mapei adhesive grouts and silicones....not the cheapest but very good product

Definately agree Stu, great system you've specified there :thumbsup:

How thick is the screed where you have left out for the tray PRT?

I'm on an island off the North coast of Scotland or I would have done it for you mate:smilewinkgrin:

Hi Merlecollins, The screed is 75mm thick.
Smashing - you've got plenty height to install a preformed tray, which, if skills are thin on the ground where you are, will be your best and easiest bet :thumbsup:

I would definately give the fibre glass a miss, although I have fixed to it in the past, and opt for a product like the Schluter that Stu mentioned or Dan's Impey product:thumbsup:

What tiles are you fixing to the wetroom?

This is the sort of thing I mean:thumbsup:

14Jan2010075800x600.jpg

14Jan2010073800x600.jpg

14Jan2010070800x600.jpg

W

wetdec

Hi Phill, as per your pm m8 :

Plaster board the walls as normal then tank with Dura-wp in the wet area.
Using a Tilux former will give you the falls you need without having to guess and you can use most floor tiles as the majority are non slip these days but always check ye...

Using this former which has a snap in drain so no fuss:
http://www.diy-wetrooms.com/index.ph...oduct_id=29778

With this (10m)which will give you enough membrane to do your wet area and your new screeded floor:
http://www.diy-wetrooms.com/index.ph...oduct_id=29784

:thumbsup:

R

Richard Edwards

Hi The best system - and the most expensive [the two usually go hand in hand as you usually only get what you pay for in this life !] - is Lux - German wet dec and board system / Nicobond are UK agents. The fall is precut so no worries on drainage, same finish as cementous backer board. The system I use all the time for tanking on walls already in place is Porcelanosa's Imperband - This needs to be fixed with thin bed flex adhesive and overlay the joints - Internal corners are available. Crease corners with domestic iron- do not nick the one used for clothes as your wife might string you up
Tile all tiles and stone including large format porcelain etc direct to the surface. I've been creating high-end wet rooms in South Wales for more than 6 years and we are the larger single point trade installers in our area of Lux wet dec systems and we have never had a single leak in all that time - even in a 6 floor appartment. :thumbsup:

Just added a couple of small photos to give you an idea

Hope this helps - If you any more help please let me know.

Attachments

• Marble-Porcelain Wet Room 007.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Awen's Wet Room 001.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Web Marble with Blue Glass.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 165
W

wetdec

Lux is without question imo the leading tile backer board producer but its not anywhere near cheap and so quite often is overlooked.

The lux wet dec wetdec as you call it is no different in method to the cheap grey boards in the uk except again its far more expensive............

Porcelainosa are rebadgers they take a product and put their badge on it using their rep to market it.............

I apreciate you use both of these products but if honest there are better more economical products available out there which will do as good as or even better jobs.

PS.

If you want to sell your services then speak to Dan...............

:thumbsup:

R

Richard Edwards

Hello Wetdec - Probably not your real name, perhaps send me a note with contact details.

I'am interested by your response and the next time we have an enquiry / job to install a wet room system, I'll contact you and ask you for price although I will need to look at it ' in hand ' so to speak.

The Lux system became expensive due to Euro/Gbp exchange rates. However they are very flexible, making specials to our drawings and have a big range of shapes and sizes. You can trim and shape the deck to fit irregular recesses so installation in tight spaces is less of a worry.

That said I will give you a call when I do the next one.

Thanks for info.

Richard

R

Richard Edwards

Hi Diamond Drilling

I do agree to some extent with your comments as there are similar products and similar spec/ quality about, especially in the past 12 months or so. That said, you will know as you have used Lux systems, the boards go up to 100mm thick and in lots of other thicknesses, so we can create a whole range of design / structural features in bathrooms / wetrooms - ie walls and spa's - steam / sauna cabinets etc and I am able to obtain commpetitive prices from my stockist.

If you want basic boards to same/similar standard then over the past few months we have been offered a 2400m x 600mm board about 20% cheaper. If your buying a lot it is signicant. So do not totally disagree, however cheaper is not always the best way.

PS - I spoke to the guy who forgot his glasses. He said ' Look again and when you realise that all the glass edge tiles are hand cut on the curve and are internally smaller than they externally, ie radius, it is impossible to get a square lay pattern in two dimensions.' By the way, the wall glass tiles are by Original Style and have threads of gold running through them (£22.00 each) and have 30w x 12v lights behind them and glitter. The architect approved this lay-out and the client thought it was fabulous, so mindful of customer satisfaction, our tiler says he'll chuck out his safety glasses and use rose tinted ones in future. Thanks

Richard Edwards - The Quality Tiling Co Ltd

D

diamondtiling

What a load of balloney, the glass tiles have been set first and the mosaics set after, the 'fixer' has not set out properly at all. He should have left a line of tiles out just left of the glass tiles, he could then have laid everything in line and with all grout lines as they should be, ie in line, the cuts would then be trimmed around the blue line to fit. His falls would follow the tray former and then cut around the pot. He has laid the tiles so that he gets a cut corner to corner to form a fall, if he had moved the bottom 4 rows that are left of the blue line and positioned them properly he would have had bigger cut tiles at the curve and everything would have lined up.
As for acquiring Lux boards at good trade prices I have no problem there at all, I have an account with the main importer based in Harrogate and have had that account for over 10 years now. They supply all the pre formed chairs and seating for the wet areas I install in Leisure centres, I have yet to find a company with better prices.

:smilewinkgrin:

R

Richard Edwards

:thumbsup:Hello Diamondtiling

Thanks for the advice. The guy without the glasses has taken note. However the Blue Glass Tiles were inserted after the Travertine 100 x 100mm and your are correct it was done to avoid skinny cuts around the blue tiles.

I'' think we will call it a day on that one, but your input was useful and we might approach the next job that is similar from a different angle.
:smilewinkgrin:

W

wetdec

I'' think we will call it a day on that one, but your input was useful and we might approach the next job that is similar from a different angle.

You cant call it a day its tiled wrong and you have put your name to it m8. The trav should of gone down correctly and the arch templated on dry laid tiles at the edges before cutting that way excellence might come as standard.

Reply to New build wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.