Search the forum,

Discuss Need Abit Help On Sumthing People. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mickmcc

HI ALL, IVE GOT ABIT OF A PROBLEM WELL HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW SO I HOPE YOU’S CAN HELP, I AM TILING MY MOTHERS DOWNSTAIRS TOILET/BATHROOM THEY HAD A BIT OF FLOOD OF SOME KIND A FEW MONTHS AGO FROM THE UPSTAIRS BATHROOM WHICH IS DIRECTLY ABOVE THE DOWNSTAIRS ONE, I PULLED THE OLD TILES OFF THE WALL AND THEY CAME STRAIGHT OFF WITHOUT ANY FORCE ALSO THE PLASTER CRUMBLED AND CAN PRETTY MUCH BLOWN OFF AT THE TOP OF THE WALL, THE WALLS ARE ABSOLUTELY SOAKED SO OBVIOUSLY I CANNOT TILE TO IT, IM LETTING THE WALLS DRY OUT AND SHES GETTING THAT LEAKAGE OR WHATEVER IT IS FIXED UPSTAIRS,
RIGHT OK! APART FROM ALL THAT HERES MY PROBLEM HALF THE WALL WHAT WAS SOAKED HAS PLASTER ON IT AND THE OTHER HALF IS DOWN TO LIKE A SANDY STONEY THING WHICH WAS UNDERNEATH THE PLASTER WHICH CRUMBLES IN MY HAND , I DON’T FANCY TAKING THE WHOLE PLASTER OFF IMFACT WHATS LEFT ON IS PERFECTLY FINE NO CHANCE OF IT COMING AWAY, SHE DESNT WANT A PLASTERER IN SO ITS DOWN TO ME TO SMOOTH THE WALL OFF SOMEHOW, I SAY HALF A WALL BUT ITS ONLY ABOUT 2FOOT BY 2FOOT WHAT WILL NEED COVERING, AM I OK TO JUST SMOOTH SOME ADHEISIVE OVER IT, AND WHAT KIND WOULD I USE,
IF THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG PLEASE TELL ME OH AND IM SORRY ABOUT THE LIFE STORY AND MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE SANDY STONEY THING LOL, ONLY BE GOING A MONTH ON EASIER STUFF BUT THIS HAS CONFUSED ME, THANKS VERY MUCH FOR LISTENING ANYWAYS HAHA.

F

Fekin

Any areas of the wall that are crumbling away need to be taken back until it's solid, and no loose material left.
Try a wire brush on the loose area and get rid of it first.

If it's only 2ft x 2ft then once it's sanded down theres a few rapid set renders that can be applied to the area to fill any deep areas of it, but don't use tubbed adhesive to fill it if it's past 4mm depth anywhere, oh and polly filla works wonders too, but remember it does shrink in, so a couple of applications might be needed, then allow to dry and tile over that.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The sandy stony stuff sounds like sand/cement render. It's what's on the brickwork before plaster.

Assuming your tiling it when you've made good....

If the depth is enough I'd 'dot n dab' a little plasterboard on it (you can get thin plasterboard) or even use some of the old tiles to tile it up to the right thickness and then tile over the lot.

If you're plastering it all to paint or wallpaper it or whatever then you can just plaster over the render (get the right stuff though, some is just skimming plaster these days).

D

DHTiling

prime the walls with bal bond neat and skim in with one coat palster leave to dry and away you go......dave..

C

ChaseTiling

Its internal render that you have there.

2 options :

1. Brush off then let to dry; apply bonding coat to level the surface. Leave to dry then prime using 3:1 acrylic primer before tiling as normal, otherwise the old and new plaster will suck the moisture right out of the adhesive to quick and your tiles will fall off.

2. Dot and Dab 9.5mm board onto the existing DRY + BRUSHED render and tile as normal.

Option 2 is the quickest and cheapest.

Good luck!!

Ant - Chase Tiling Academy

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Its internal render that you have there.

2 options :

1. Brush off then let to dry; apply bonding coat to level the surface. Leave to dry then prime using 3:1 acrylic primer before tiling as normal, otherwise the old and new plaster will suck the moisture right out of the adhesive to quick and your tiles will fall off.

2. Dot and Dab 9.5mm board onto the existing DRY + BRUSHED render and tile as normal.

Option 2 is the quickest and cheapest.

Good luck!!

Ant - Chase Tiling Academy

Eyup Ant! Long time no speak mate. :happy:

M

mickmcc

Again thanks very much people, but ive got a few more questions to ask, im guna go with the bonding and prime just because of the depth of the thing, would u be able to tell me exactly what to use for this and the drying times for everything, as ive never done this b4 and im supposed to be starting the tiling at the weekend and are thinking im needing to do it 2nite or 2moro,
Oh and….
Does anyone know the best place to get all this stuff from including adhesives and grouts, I live in washington tyne & wear and there isn’t much of a choice or I haven’t looked hard enough, just ive only done a few jobs for friends and everything was already bought for me, so any close by places will be a massive help for now and the future I really don’t have any idea attall where to go, all I know is that we have a B&Q lol. Theres a place called the tile shed right next to my girlfriends house which I pass everyday also haha, Thanks people.

Reply to Need Abit Help On Sumthing People. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen