Search the forum,

Discuss natural clay tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

I went to see a job today and the tiles were hand made kiln dried natural clay bricks approximately 15mm thick 200x50mm.Couple of questions..firstly,its for behind a stove fire so as they are porous i would recommend sealing with impregnator ,do you agree with ths?

secondly,grout lines..probably around 6mm-10mm.any idea what to use as spacers?

any other advice is welcome folks...cheers Bri.

W

White Room

As a natural clay are the sizes of the tiles that accurate, I would do by eye

D

doug boardley

Bri, are they earthenware or stoneware? (both are natural clay) earthenware will be orangey (terracotta) coloured, and imo, require impregnating. Stoneware will be greyish, and self vitrifying, and not require sealing

B

brian c

earthenware Doug,i have suggested they seal anyway but was just double checking with you guys also.cheers.

Mark thats what i was thinking myself m8,but they will need held in place until the adhesive goes off.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
stik 2 four mm spacersin sideways if u kno wat i mean bri? jeso thats mumbo jumbo,,stick 2 four mm spacers in bri sideways if you know what i mean mate?

Last edited:
D

doug boardley

earthenware Doug,i have suggested they seal anyway but was just double checking with you guys also.cheers.

Mark thats what i was thinking myself m8,but they will need held in place until the adhesive goes off.

I'd use wedges Bri, you can alter the joint to suit the tile:thumbsup:

Reply to natural clay tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen