Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaics...... fix & grout ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jimmy

I have been asked to tile a spashback in a very large kitchen with 20 x 20 ceramic mosaics. Due to the size I was considering using fix and grout, normaly I would avoid the stuff with a passion :thumbsdown: . Under the circumstances I am warming to the idea. If pushed could any one recomend any ?
I also looked at BAL mosaic fix , the product description states its "brilliant white" and wondered if I could use it as fix & grout or grout over the top not worrying that bits may show if its the same "brilliant white" as the grout.As anyone used it?
I would be very greatfull for any advice as I am sure it would save me a lot of swearing and tears.:smilewinkgrin:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi jimmy i have used mosaic fix it is pure white and very good...few on the market similar pci nanolite is another i would use its also pure white.

using a 3mm mosaic trowel will eliminate the issues of the coloured adhesive squeezing through so this should also make the whole job a lot easier for you.

D

DHTiling

Mapei P9 or P10 will be suitable.....as mentioned using the correct trowel is the key...and working clean..:thumbsup:

A

Aztectiler

If tling mosaics a good practice is to use a 3mm trowel and to have a small paintbrush to hand at all times so as to be able to clean the grout gaps as you go.

Keep it wet with water and as we all know adhesive is easier to remove when its still wet, clean up amd down the grout gaps with your wet brush.

Hey presto clean lines every time:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

try also patting the mosaics onto place with a grout flout,you will get a more even finish and saves you applying too much pressure causing the adhesive to push through!:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Are any Laticrete products available in the UK? If so, then Laticrete 4237 Latex can be mixed with sanded grout to make a color-matched setting material. The beauty of this method is that any setting material that oozes up into the joints can be struck flush with the top of the grout line and left to cure. Then, the next day, the same grout can be mixed with Laticrete 1776 latex additive to make the grout to finish off any of the joints that weren't filled while setting the mosaics.

If Laticrete isn't available there, maybe there is another company's material that does the same thing?

http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/datasheets/lds2301.pdf

R

Rob Z

Dave, another good thing about that pooky is that it has a long open time on the substrate. It has something like 2-3X the normal moisture retention goodies in it and it won't dry out for a long time once it's troweled out.

One time I was setting mosaics on a mud bed (screed) and I got a phone call just as I finished troweling out about 9 square feet of material. I went outside and talked for about 10 minutes, and then remembered the material on the floor, I raced back in thinking for sure it would have gone off by then and I would have to chip it off ...but instead it was still as soft and tacky as when I troweled it out. :thumbsup:

J

Jimmy

:thumbsup:Thanks for all your quick replys. Just had a look at the mapei p10 online and think it could be just the job. Being adhesive and not paste, I could mix it up nice and stiff to minimise it pushing through the joints.
I already use the grout float trick on boarders but did not think of the paint brush trick, it makes so much sense i,ll not forget that one in a hurry.:hurray:
Thanks again everyone ,CHEERS:8:

Reply to Mosaics...... fix & grout ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen