Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaic woes in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Goblin

-
Reaction score
Hello tilers,
I’m after some advice. I started doing a mosaic during lockdown, spent two days laying out and then sticking over 3000 little tiles to some board. I bought some burgundy grout pigment and grouted the thing. The grout dried a crappy light plum colour and I managed to sand a lot of it out with wire wool (for some reason the grout took ages to set so this was quite easy). I next decided to use black grout and would paint over it to achieve the colour I wanted, I put the black grout on but oh my, it set so much quicker than the other one I used - I spent the day trying to sand it down a bit but it has fully set.
Now I have a fairly uneven mosaic, some bits are not too bad but I’ve got some tiles still fully submerged in grout - I picked up a wire brush as I thought that would be good enough to get rid of the extra grout but no, that seems to be just buffing the grout and now some of it is shiny 😂
So yes, I feel like the universe doesn’t want me to finish this thing but I just need to. My question is what should I do next? I’m thinking maybe a handheld sander thing? Or is there some bad *** chemical I can use? Any advice much appreciated, thanks
DD824D61-5F81-42C1-A04C-6F1F810E180D.jpeg
2FD686A5-8BFC-418A-8743-06785FE27396.jpeg
EE8E20B7-6A99-44F9-988F-74A9E8CF69E1.jpeg
D0E01AD0-9E5F-4C17-AFBA-5237D15CC336.jpeg
0885FEC6-AE10-4E75-B096-E631DE3FD160.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You could try some adhesive/grout remover and an emulsifying pad but it will be hard to stop it eating into all that surrounding grout. Might take a while. Start off with it diluted

Reply to Mosaic woes in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen