Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Metal trim with glass mosaic tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Trebor62

Hi there, everyone need a bit of help. I am putting up glass mosaic tiles in a friends kitchen, they are quite thin and he has got me a load of chrome edging or trim, which is 6mm. However the tiles are only about 3-4mm in thickness, now should they be level with the edge of the trim or are they ok having a slight lip over the edge of them. If they need to be level then i will have to raise the tiles a couple of mil. I have seen pictures online of tiles with metal edging and they seem to be inside the lip and not level with it. Any ideas on what i should do would be appreciated.

I

Ian

The tile edge should really be flush with the trim, a lip won't look very good. I would try to find a 4mm trim. Another option is to put the trim on first and build up the wall with adhesive to give that extra 2mm thickness you require, if you try to add thickness whilst tiling you will get in an almighty mess, trust me!!!

T

Trebor62

Thanks for the reply Brian. Did think about 4mm but cant find any round edged one, only square edge. Will try building up wall as you said, because i did try it whilst i was tiling, and as you said got in an allmighty mess.

I

Ian

Is there a window to tile around in the room? If there is, a square edged trim will be much easier to use around the window cill and reveals.

S

Stewart

Why don't you use the square edge........? I think it looks far better than round edge.

M

Mike

use the mosaic backer mat. its a plastic 'mesh' that sticks to the mosaic. can be cut in strips like the mosaics. it will bring the tiles out a couple of mm and makes the mosaics rigid and easier to lay

T

Trebor62

Yes i quite agree with you on the square edge, just need to pursuade my mate, he dosnt seem that keen.

I

Ian

It looks nicer IMO and around the window if you have a round edged trim you will need to do a 3 way mitre or there will be a sharp point where the 3 pieces meet.

Reply to Metal trim with glass mosaic tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks