Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss metal trim round the window in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

debbie125

hi every body my husband is new to tiling and me being a pain has decided i want silver metal trim around the window but the wall isnt straight it curves at the top and there is no way to bend the strip so am i going to have to use the white plastic strip or is there a way round it? thanks in advance for any advice

D

DHTiling

HI Debbie and welcome..

Get hubs to straighten the wall out before tiling.. then you get a better looking trim..

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello,buying plastic trim wont resolve the issue you need to striaghten the wall by either dot dabbing plasterboard on or re plastering it

even if you could bend plastic trim permanently which you cant the tiles wont bend to accomodate it:smilewinkgrin:

D

debbie125

he's put the tiles on the main wall that curves by putting more grout behind them its hard to explain what imean the tiles line up to the window straight because hes built them up but it curves like ) at the top in the window recess at the top so he would have to cut one off the tiles at the top off the window on a curve! lol to plaster board it he'd have to bring it out too much and itd have to be brought out around the window and the toilet and sink to look level

D

DHTiling

I hope you mean adhesive and not grout..:)

All we can do is say that it should be flat before tiling or flattened whilst tiling if not to deep for the adhesive..

If hubs has used a ready mixed tubbed adhesive then 3mm is the mas depth you can go with it.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ok so hes packing the tiles out with adhesive(not grout) i assume,may i ask what adhesive he is using as some are not suitable for packing out and may fail.

are you cutting tiles round sanitaryware?

D

debbie125

ha yeah its adhesive and grout all in one! lol yeah hes built it up so the tiles are flat slightly on an angle but like tile on an arch way i suppose but not as bad! but iff you look in the window recess it bends at the top

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ok debs,i think i understand now the top of thw window recess isnt straight,are you tiling the internals on the window recess also,

adhesive and grout all in one is not suitable for packing out like this and i have my reservations that this job will last im afrad debs

on another note your window dont cut curved tiles to accomodate a curved window recess use the lowest point................say for example from left to right the window curves up in middle slightly then runs back down on wither side then take your lowest point and cut your tiles to the lowest point all the way along and make the window straight do you understand what i mean...hope this makes sense lol

D

debbie125

killty55 asked if i was tiling round sanitaryware yeah i get what you mean dont cut the tiles on an angle fill the curved bit with a piece off tile that is what ya mean dony ya lol

Reply to metal trim round the window in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks