Search the forum,

Discuss Marble tiles on sloped ceiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Adam Heron

Hi guys!

I am doing my first ever bathroom project and am after some advice from you true professionals.

I intend to tile half of a sloped ceiling with 610x305 marble tiles. There will also be some tiling onto brick walls. I'm not sweating about the walls so much, just the ceiling! I have spoken to tile giant, topps tiles etc with very limited response, hence why I'm now here.

"No one has asked me that in 20 years mate, I'll have to speak to the manufacturer!" :eek:

Have seen some previous advice of hardiebacker screwed to the joists, tiles adhered individually and supported for 24 hours. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts and input on this guys. I'm obviously looking at spending some serious money on this marble, doing it correctly and hopefully looking like I've had one of you guys do the job for me!! :D

Yes... I'm ambitious!

In terms of best tile adhesives, top quality mould resistant grout etc, what are your views and opinions on this? I'm certainly not a tiler, but and engineer with an eye for detail. Want everything to be done to the best possible standards. I'm not just prepared to walk out of a store with materials that I have been told are the best and suitable for the job. Need advice from professionals who actually do it for a living!

Greatly appreciate any help and input on this guys...

Adam
DSC_0186.JPG
DSC_0187.JPG
DSC_0188.JPG

B

Bill

Cement board will be best to use but you will need a very strong adhesive and they will have to be solid bed fixed using an S2 type adhesive or even a 2 part one. (like Granirapid for instance)

If you are cutting these with a wet cutter, then you must ensure the back of the tile is completely dry before fixing to the adhesive.

F

Flintstone

Hardie backer on the ceiling would be perfect, an s2 like Tilemaster ultimate would be my choice. As long you you solid bed then with the correct methods you won’t need any props, and they are never gonna fall off!

A

Adam Heron

Thanks Tom. Could you elaborate on the solid bed method you would employ? Particular trowel etc? Any advantages of 2 part over s2? Cheers.

A

Adam Heron

Hardie backer on the ceiling would be perfect, an s2 like Tilemaster ultimate would be my choice. As long you you solid bed then with the correct methods you won’t need any props, and they are never gonna fall off!

Thanks Localtiler

Solid bed method, tips etc would be appreciated. What thickness or trowel? Is backbuttering required? Cheers

O

Old Mod

Here are some tech sheets for you read adam.
Ak25 is an S2
Mega-rapid is a two part adhesive, maybe this will help you understand the difference.
With the mega rapid, the fact that it is water free, will help prevent moisture issues with the marble.

661D4B73-89A9-4B9A-9056-E03DBAA4E39A.jpeg F3BA699B-6C1C-4642-947F-929D9ED32C10.jpeg 62A718B0-7225-4FEE-99F0-A6D1A9D5BED5.jpeg 0D5266BE-6AD9-4F4A-8E9C-49816CBC6F5A.jpeg

A

Adam Heron

Here are some tech sheets for you read adam.
Ak25 is an S2
Mega-rapid is a two part adhesive, maybe this will help you understand the difference.
With the mega rapid, the fact that it is water free, will help prevent moisture issues with the marble.

View attachment 96681 View attachment 96682 View attachment 96683 View attachment 96684

Nice one 3fall

The megarapid looks like a good material for the job. Any additional advice or pointers when working with this adhesive? Cheers

O

Old Mod

Nice one 3fall

The megarapid looks like a good material for the job. Any additional advice or pointers when working with this adhesive? Cheers
No, only that it has a genuine pot life of 3 hrs. However, if you expect this might take a while, reduce the amount mixed at once, and make sure you weigh quantities correctly, as per ratio.
I’m sure I don’t need to remind you of that tho.
Otherwise you’ll be throwing away more than you use. :)
It’s also important to allow the adhesive to slake before re-mixing and using.

Reply to Marble tiles on sloped ceiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen