Search the forum,

Discuss Loose tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

danrosswil

I recently went to see a lady about cleaning and stabilsing her victorian tiles, the tiles are all in good condition but are very slightly loose in the main wear areas and you can feel and hear them shaking when you walk over them.

What I wanted to know is, how do you stabilise them, do you have to take them out individually and if so what do you use, or is there a liquid substance that you can pour into them to set them still?

Any help would be great

thanks

dan

T

TilingLogistics

Victorian tiles as the name suggests probably means they have been down for close on 100 years or longer. This in turn means they are either on a lime bed mortar mix or just straight onto earth. They normally have to be lifted, then repair the substrate by various methods depending on the situation and then refixed, grouted and cleaned. Usually once you get one up the rest come up easily. I hope this helps and good luck:thumbsup:

Kev

F

Fred

If they are loose they are. No matter what you do, they will still be loose, even if you pump glue in. Do it properly and dig them up or walk...........

D

danrosswil

Thanks for the excellent quick reply Kev and Fred:)
If I lift them, is there a special tool I can use to lift and where can I get proper grout for these type of tiles? Would PVA do?

T

TilingLogistics

Just use a thin scraper or a Fein machine on one of the loose ones the rest will fly up. If the tiles are Victorian they will have virtually no grout joint. No you cant use PVA.!!! Tilers don't use PVA.!!! Try Mapei Kerracolour FF Grout.

Kev

D

DHTiling

If you are only lifting certain area's then you will have to make sure you put them back down exactly as they came up.....Take photo's and make a graph of the floor and number the tiles if need be...this will make it easier to re-lay........just something to think about before you go ripping them up.....the joints will be tight , thats why it is best to re-lay the same way.....

T

TilingLogistics

If you are only lifting certain area's then you will have to make sure you put them back down exactly as they came up.....Take photo's and make a graph of the floor and number the tiles if need be...this will make it easier to re-lay........just something to think about before you go ripping them up.....the joints will be tight , thats why it is best to re-lay the same way.....

Dave

Good point!!! I just assumed he would know that sorry

Kev

W

wetdec

The majority of these tiles will be minton collins, when they were laid being so long sgo the tiles were never the same size and quite offten they were cut to fit.

As the guys have said they will be on black ash and grouted with lime mix. If you lift one to start being carefull as it will chip then work outwards from there. Put a chalk number or letter on them so you know where each goes.

You said PVA, there is a way of using this if the base they are on is solid and you cant get more adhesive in. Clean the tiles dry, hoover out the floor pour around 2mm 50/50 with water (exterior pva) onto the area and leave overnight. When dry pour 5mm neat pva onto area and squeeze the tiles back in following the numbers.

As you go wipe off any pva that comes to surface. When its all dry it will be solid for you. Run a little dry cement or grout over it to fill any grout lines.

Tiler

Reply to Loose tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen