Search the forum,

Discuss Loose kitchen floor tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Roberts

First time poster. Hello all :)

We had a leak from our dishwasher, which has since been replaced. The problem is, I suspect that the leak went undetected for quite a while and has affected the surrounding flooring.

Some of the floor tiles near to the dishwasher 'flex' slightly and give off a 'popping' sound when stood on. You can see one or two of them visible move when stood on. I would say there are about five affected tiles in all.

Has the leak affected the subflooring? Could I get away with attempting to take the affected tiles up (without breaking them) and reapply them?

What do you think are the best and worst case scenarios here?

Thanks.

M

Mike Roberts

What is the subfloor ?

Hi Sir Ramic. It's a wood subfloor. I guess that compounds the issue? If subfloor needs to be replaced, could only a section of it be replaced? Other tiles not close to the dishwasher are perfectly fine.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Check your insurance policy. As far as I'm aware all insurance companies now have changed the excess for water damage, whether it be caused by flooding, a leak, washer, central heating etc. to £250 no matter what the circumstances. It will be in the small print where you didn't know they had changed it!!!!

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just this evening went to see "an insurance job"
Boiler in the utility room has leaked, and blown an area of tiling. (20 odd years old) also on flooring grade chipboard.

apparantly the insurance has agreed to pay for utility room and kitchen tiling to be replaced. 18m

So it might pay to phone insurance company and check.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Insurance aside: have you lifted any tiles? Can you get pictures on the forum for us to take a look at?

M

Mike Roberts

Insurance aside: have you lifted any tiles? Can you get pictures on the forum for us to take a look at?

I'm definitely planning on doing just that, Dan. There is a specific tile which really does 'pop' when stood on, so this is the one I'd like to lift.

What are the basics re: lifting a tile? Obviously, I don't want to crack it.

M

Mike Roberts

Will try and lift it, Dan, so I can see what it's like underneath. I'm a little worried about damaging the tile, though. What is the best method of lifting a tile and not breaking it?! I'm thinking removing the surrounding grout with a multifunction tool, and gently prising it up, assuming it will come up easy as the bond is clearly loosening. Any advances on this? Thanks, by the way!

Reply to Loose kitchen floor tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen