Search the forum,

Discuss Living room/Conservatory UFH Floor tiling project. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wayneski

Hello all,
bit of a newbie here but have been devouring the info on this forum for the last couple of days to try and sort myself out for my upcoming venture into floor tiling.
I have just finished putting a conservatory on and knocking through/over/down various parts of the house and bar a bit of plastering which I hope to get done this weekend, the biggest bit of work left is putting down the UFH and tiling over it.
From info on here and some other stuff in the diynot site i have got a rough idea of what I am doing but thought I would pop my head above the parapet and see if anyone can point out any blatant problems.

The floor is concrete throughout. Obviously the conservatory is only a few months old.
Tiles are porcelain (I think) 600x600x10mm from B&Q
Basically I was going to stick the 10mm insulationboards to the existing floor using adhesive. Lay the UFH cables on top and then encase the lot in a layer of Latexplan SLC. Got enough to do roughly 5mm depth.

Then I was going to tile over the top using Keraquick with latex plus (going to use this to stick insulation boards down with)
Haven't decided what grout to use yet but know it's got to be the flexible kind. Also going to use tiles as the skirting with a silicon join between wall/floor.
So thats basically what I am up to. Any major issues with me doing things that way?
A few other questions I have are:-

Which notched trowel to get? Was thinking 3mm for the isulation boards and a 12mm for the tiles.
Which cutter? Thinking Plasplugs contract £60 B&Q or Erbauer ERB180C from screwfix. Not the best I kno wbut I am not going into business doing this.
Other tools??

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

T

TheWrightTiler

erbaur will do the job lovely but get the extra blade for 20 quid and still cheaper than b and q

trowel sizes r fine and get a roll of fabric tape from screwfix as extra for sticking ufh down

for one off jobs plasplugs.com will sell trowels for roughly 2 quid each

use ctd for flexi grout and they have a wide range of colours available

hope this helps

andy

T

TheWrightTiler

i make it nice and runny and take time when pouring it, it sometimes helps to place blocks at doorways to stop it running through, just remember to take out before its sets up though lol

you just need to cover the ufh and that alone

andy

G

grumpygrouter

I might be inclined to go slightly bigger on the trowel size for insulation board, You need to ensure 100% coverage and if there is ANY deviation in the insulation board, the 3mm trowel will not give full coverage.

Apart from that, everything is fine and as Andy says.:thumbsup:

W

wayneski

got the week off next week hopefully will be done by then. My House is FREEZING!!!!

G

grumpygrouter

got the week off next week hopefully will be done by then. My House is FREEZING!!!!
If the area you are tiling is REALLY cold, you will need to provide some sort of heat. Adhesives need to have a temperature above 5deg C when you use them.

F

faithhealer

If the area you are tiling is REALLY cold, you will need to provide some sort of heat. Adhesives need to have a temperature above 5deg C when you use them.
Good point Grumps, did similar job last winter and bought a litttle fan heater for under a tenner. (I don't work very well when it's 5 degrees either!!)

B

bigandy

don't forget to do your continuity checks on your ufh before and after each stage!!it could save you time and money

Reply to Living room/Conservatory UFH Floor tiling project. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen