Search the forum,

Discuss Lifting toilet and sinks to fix floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tysfoot

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone could help me.
Ive got a couple of small bathroom florrs to do tomorrow for a freind and i want to lift the sink and toilet prior to tiling.

i think there are flexis on the pipes but dont think they will stretch to the lenght i want.
How do i extend the the pipes a few inches, do i have to cut the water supply off before dismantling the pipe or not.

Cheers

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Tysfoot, welcome back. I would certainly turn the water off before dismantling the pipework, you might find it will leak otherwise.:yes:

T

tile55

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone could help me.
Ive got a couple of small bathroom florrs to do tomorrow for a freind and i want to lift the sink and toilet prior to tiling.

i think there are flexis on the pipes but dont think they will stretch to the lenght i want.
How do i extend the the pipes a few inches, do i have to cut the water supply off before dismantling the pipe or not.

Cheers

You haven't said if the pipes have isolating valves on them so that you can turn the water offf and on, if not, then water would have to be turned off most likely at the stop-****

Also what is the floor substrate? What are the size of the tiles? Will you need to add a sub floor?

There are a few things to take into consideration here and it might be easier just to tile around the toilet and pedestal.

You need to make sure that the vanityware will be able to fit back into place once you have increased the floor height.
The toilet waste position will change along with the basin waste, you would most likely have to reset both the toilet and basin, turning a small job into a much larger job.

T

tysfoot

Cheers, ive been away from here for a while, not done any tiling work for a few months due to people having no money to spend.

Am ot tu sure if they have isolating valves. lll find out on the job. i think it will be worth it lifting the tiolet and sink cos im in a big house and ive got 5 small bathroom floors to do it total

F

Fekin

Yes tysfoot, water needs to be turned off at the mains if you are going to disconnect the feed pipes to the sink :stupid:

C

cornish_crofter

Toilet:

IF the cold feed AND the soil pipes are flexible then what you are proposing is very straight forward.

Otherwise you may find you need to replumb the toilet in place, rather than simply refit it. This is do - able but takes time.

Sink:

As far as the sinks go, it all depends on how much play there is in the plumbing and waste.

J

JIMBOB187

It took me ages to become confident at cutting around pottery, I won't tell you how long my first job took me. But now with my trusty roll of lino in the van no problem. I remember moving a toilet and causing it to leak because the angle of the SVP (soil vent pipe) had changed, nightmare.

D

Deleted member 1779

Could you discuss the options with the customer prior to moving and let them know the pitfalls of moving them prior to the tiling together with the benefits as well as the risks? If they were prepared to pay for your extra time or plumbing it might be a solution for you both.

Elegant workmanship has to be the priority but also with the blessing of the paying customer. In short I would ask.

A

AllurePTS

It took me ages to become confident at cutting around pottery, I won't tell you how long my first job took me. But now with my trusty roll of lino in the van no problem. I remember moving a toilet and causing it to leak because the angle of the SVP (soil vent pipe) had changed, nightmare.

What's the lino for Jimbob ???

Also, I was thinking of buying a good quality pipe freeze kit for this sort of thing ....anybody else use one ???

Reply to Lifting toilet and sinks to fix floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen