Discuss Laying ceramic tiles on PVC trunking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tony Boundy

Hi,

Am looking to tile over a vertical length of PVC trunking 60mm wide x 30mm deep which hides the flow and return pipework for a radiator (the trunking gets hot).

The tiles are ceramic with a crackle glaze. Any suggestions on what type of adhesive to use would be appreciated. I would plan to use the same grout as will be used for the rest of the wall tiles (Ardex classic vanilla SF).

Kind regards,

Tony

M

mattle40

I would recommend removing the PVC and building in a new box section from timber and ply, it would have to be a bigger box to accommodate the timber but that would be my choice

V

village tiling

i personally and most pretty much every tiler i know would never reccomend tiling on to a pvc box, your best bet would be to do as mattle40 says and buld a new box. but i would use drywall as apposed to ply. drywall is better at deflecting the heat from the pipes.

F

florin66

hi there
there is one way around this problem if you
don't want to replace the pvc boxing... not very orthodox but i have used it few times and never failed.As you know you cannot use tile adhesive on plastic but as is only a small surface you can stick the tiles gripfill. It remain the problem of the grouting.it only works if the grout is white as you have to add (only for that area) a little bit of pva in the water when you mix the grout
Another way of sticking tiles on synthetic surfaces like this,(only small places though) is using good quality clear silicone.
As a said is only an extreme solution for an extreme problem...(unless u replace the box)
Hope my answer is useful, good luck

D

DHTiling

Hi..

I suggest you don't cut corners and try and take the easy option.. you want it to last , so do it properly..

Remove the trunking and box the pipes in as suggested above and i too would use PB..

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Agree with most on here. Re-box with plasterboard. If a jobs worth doing....and all that.

I'm not convinced on the gripfill suggestion though. I would think that the heat from the pipes would have an effect on the bonding of the gripfill over time. But having never stuck tiles on with gripfill i couldn't say for sure.

T

Tony Boundy

I would recommend removing the PVC and building in a new box section from timber and ply, it would have to be a bigger box to accommodate the timber but that would be my choice

Thanks Mattle40 and everybody else who took the time to reply - much appreciated. The trunking was used to hide the pipes in as small a box as possible. I was hoping a 2 part epoxy resin adhesive would do the trick but I guess from the replies that is not an option. Box the trunking with PB and tile conventionally seems the best option.

Thanks again to all.

Best regards,

Tony

Reply to Laying ceramic tiles on PVC trunking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay