Discuss Large format tiles - Remove concrete skim? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulo-m

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into retyling my bathroom. It has 2 concrete walls - skimmed and painted - and 2 plasterboard walls partially tiled, partially skimmed and painted. The tiles I'll be using are 10mm thick porcelain in a variety of sizes, from 15x90cm up to 45x90cm.

I've read a lot about the max weight that plasterboard can support, both skimmed and unskimmed and also concrete walls. It's clear that I need to replace the drywalls with cement boards, which I'm doing as we speak.
However for the concrete wall I can't find much information regarding the weight, mainly how much weight does a skimmed concrete wall stand? I imagine I should remove the paint from the concrete wall, but should I also remove the skimming in order to expose the raw concrete?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Paulo

T

Tile Shop

If by concrete you mean Render (sand/cement), on it own un-skimmed, it can hold upto 50Kgs safely.

As soon as anything is skimmed, whether it be render, plasterboard or cement boards the limit is immediately reduced to 20Kg's because plaster is a bit of a pansy :)

P

paulo-m

If by concrete you mean Render (sand/cement), on it own un-skimmed, it can hold upto 50Kgs safely.

As soon as anything is skimmed, whether it be render, plasterboard or cement boards the limit is immediately reduced to 20Kg's because plaster is a bit of a pansy :)

Thanks for the explanation! makes total sense.
The skimming there is at the moment doesn't seem to be 100% plaster since it's greyish. I imagine it would be some kind of plaster mixed with cement. In any case the take away is to remove it and expose the render.

Cheers,

B

Blunt Tool

Thanks for the explanation! makes total sense.
The skimming there is at the moment doesn't seem to be 100% plaster since it's greyish. I imagine it would be some kind of plaster mixed with cement. In any case the take away is to remove it and expose the render.

Cheers,
You could glue and mechanical fix Wedi, Marmox etc insulation boards and will increase weight bearing substantially.

Reply to Large format tiles - Remove concrete skim? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay