Search the forum,

Discuss Know all builders! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tiling onto a 22m2 green chipboard floor upstairs , told the customer it would be advisable to overboard with either some form of backer board or plywood , for extra strength, it would be more moisture resistant and peace of mind! When the builder heard this he said the usual rubbish , tiler doesn't know what he's talking about , they don't understand this new green chipboard ! Lol
Fact of the matter is that builder is in a hurry as usual, and that he doesn't want to be eating into anymore of his profits!!
Am not saying that you can't tile onto these green chipboard floors , but I don't want to be going back to repair any work so ill always do it right first time around!!

Question , ? Anyone else have these problems ?

A

Alan M

this happens in every trade. some clown thinks he knows better. then he undermines you and makes you look like you know nothing or are out to money grab.
you are best to walk away and saw nothing infront of the customer then talk to them on your own. most will see that you are trying to help them and are willing to pay the little bit extra

D

Dougs Third Go

tbh, backer boards don't add "extra strength" but they give a more suitable substrate to tile onto. A builder actually rang me today to ask what level the new floor should meet existing floor on an extension as he was aware that I'm a bit pedantic ( he actually said "anal" lol) about where and how to cover chipboard.

C

charlie1

Here is the problem I find with lots of tilers / builders, because they have done it in the past and the floor was still intact when they where leaving the customers cheque in hand, these cowboys have a reinforced feeling of "thats was a good job".... then 2 years pass.... they never get a call back....there feeling of "that was a good job" is growing day by day!.... meanwhile back at the ranch, floors are cracking, customers are just thinking "oh my grout is needing redone!, I shall call local tiler as this must be normal after 2 years"... some people have a very shortminded vision of a tiled floor, imo, a tiled floor should really last forever, not 3-5 years or even shorter.... you will never educate these idiots, they know better as they do it all the time!!!.....sorry, needed a rant!!

C

Colour Republic

tbh, backer boards don't add "extra strength" but they give a more suitable substrate to tile onto. A builder actually rang me today to ask what level the new floor should meet existing floor on an extension as he was aware that I'm a bit pedantic ( he actually said "anal" lol) about where and how to cover chipboard.

I was going to point that out myself but i'm a builder so what do I know?

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Really annoys me , was even questioning myself, but i guess ive got a conscious the customer seems a good person , but she's getting nudged in the wright direction! I've now lost out on the job as the builder has told her some rubbish that he has tiling priced into the job and his tiler has no worries tiling onto the green board !

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Know all builders! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen