Search the forum,

Discuss JSA - test trading - poor advice! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Grace'sDad

I got made redundant Sept last year. I'd never claimed so much as a bean in my life but I'd paid a hefty tax for years.

Getting the push was what I needed to make me decide to go self employed but as I didn't know if it would work out I thought I'd better go to the Job Centre and have a "chat".

2 hours on the phone to someone who clearly didn't want to live and I had arranged an interview.

To be fair, the guy I spoke with at the Center seemed really helpful, but to cut it short: I explained that I didn't want another job in field sales but I wanted to go self employed tiling. He put me on JSA and told me (with a nudge and a wink) that this would be ok as long as I call a number twice a week and call in every fortnight to say that I was looking for another field sales job. (we both agreed that at £30k basic which is what I was on, they weren't going to find me one) He said that although it was only £76 a week or so, it would help while I get established and of course I could then claim for help with council tax, tax credits etc.

Off I went - a happy bunny. But by the time I got home, it was bothering my conscience. I felt it had to be fraudulent to claim that I was looking for work when in fact I wasn't. I called the manager at the Job Center and explained the situation to her. She seemed stunned at my honesty but thanked me and said she would cancel my JSA claim.

I have a wife and 2 small children and although things have worked out for me, we absolutely SCRAPED by for the 1st 6 months without any help at all. Thanks to having a company car in 2007 I also had naff-all tax allowance but that's another story.

Basically, I just found out tonight about "Test Trading" for people claiming JSA. It allows you to claim everything you are entitled to for 6 months while you bank (don't spend) everything and anything you can earn in those 6 months.

If I had known about this, it would REALLY have helped us out. Instead I used our savings and actually ended up in a bit of debt in my first 6 months.

What do you think? Is it worth complaining? I'm a damn good complainer and I really feel like doing. I wasn't given correct advice and it has cost my family dearly - well in excess of £2000 in benefits I believe we were eligible for.

Not happy tonight:-(

W

White Room

I would make your point, You were being honest and like me feel that sponging off the state is'nt a good incentive. It's yours when you deserve it and like you state advise was'nt forth coming but you know it may fall on deaf ears. Make a meal of it just to get your anger out of the way and hope that someone will listen and hopefully your'll get an apology at least

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

I'm with you GD.

I was made redundant back in 2003 so went to the Job Centre for help and advice. Long story short, I received similar advice to you and it cost me dear too! Actually ended up with them saying that if I didn't pay £4.25 unpaid NI, they would stop future benefits and reclaim previous payouts (£50 per week :veryangry:).

I WAS actually looking for a new job at the time and in the 6 months unemployed they organised 1 interview.

I say go for it, but you may be in for a long beaurocratic nightmare :46:.

T

TilingLogistics

I admire your resolve but i think you will need to be determined as you have a long battle in front! Good Luck

Kev

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
would be interested to hear what happens...got made redundant last year and have now almost used up the money I got to supplement my earnings whilst starting out on my own. My income is only now approaching what I need it to be, but because I went s/emp straight away, I never claimed a penny, just thought I had to go on my own financially.

My son was told he couldnt get any EMA support (should be entitled to £30 per week re college) but because they use the previous tax years income figures for my wife and I, he didnt qualify as we "earned too much", even though I made a loss in first years trading.

Good luck...but I agree with some of the others above that you are likely to be in a bundle of red tape and lengthy procedures...:beatdeadhorse5:????...lets hope you aren't flogging a dead horse with it

R

rossy

Wasting your time mate lost my job 18 months ago went up local job centre for advise and what i could claim, told them wanted to go self employed there is just to much red tape, pass you from department to department and dont tell what your entitled to or tell you sorry you carnt claim that, but if you have got a drug or alcahol problem there carnt do enough to help you pay for you to go on courses give you extra money because you have got problems and they dont even want a job people that want the help to retrain and get a job get know help rant over.... Just my experience of only time tried to claim anything like you used my saving to keep me going when started out....

W

White Room

If you know the system your laughing, We don't and can't get what we are entilted and if your got to much saving your stuffed there as well

C

cornish_crofter

I don't think you'll get anywhere, but if I were you I would write to them and make a formal complaint.

If you want to go one step further you could involve your local MP. Present hom with all the facts.

It's good that you've put your story on here as maybe there are others who may have been made redundant and ate thinking of starting up.

Reply to JSA - test trading - poor advice! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, and thanks for any advice. After pulling over 900 lbs of dead weight in the center of my...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
HI Ive just completed 2 bathrooms for a customer and they have not paid me . After several...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen