Search the forum,

Discuss JOTM thread. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

OK.. Some debate as to whether JOTM for the tilers arms members should be now aired in the main tiling forum.

Good points to doing this.

A: This should get a lot more entries.
B: More replies to the JOTM thread thus increasing stats.

Bad points:

Please ad any you think might spoil or hinder..?

I will also add a poll..

T

Tenchman

I think it would be good in the general forum as they could see what standards are set by members, =good point.

Bad points it is likely that the standard of entries would plummet as some of the newer tilers would submit work that is run of the mill.

I'm assuming that an entry is supposed to be not just what you are tiling that month but a job you believe will be appreciated by members.

D

Daz

I'm sorry but I fail to see any tangible benefit.
You are suggesting that amateur tilers pitch their work against professional entries?
Amateurs and general public vote on the jobs that they like (the shiniest and most complete designer shiny bathroom). No consideration is given to the technical complexity, setting out and execution of design as this is not understood by general public.

I think it is a great idea to get forum stats up, but bad idea if we wish to maintain JOTM credibility.

JOTM was conceived to highlight top quality tiling, to be judged by professional tilers. Voting and entries should be restricted to professional tilers to continue to promote excellent tiling.

Opening it up to the general public should be based on a view only thread which will serve to promote and educate.

T

Time's Ran Out

In the main forum sounds ok.
More interest, less clique and everyone will feel they have a chance (and a platform) to show their work.

B

bootsmckiber

After reading Captain Slows opinion I think he has a valid point so if possible I would retract my yes vote and vote no.

C

Colour Republic

I always thought it would be a good idea, although I thought even though you can view and vote in the main forums, entries should be limited to arms members only, which should entice the standard users to post more and become arms members. I'm sure some members think the 'arms' is just where members can sware, where in fact I think most of the knowledge base is.

But I didn't take this in to account...

Amateurs and general public vote on the jobs that they like (the shiniest and most complete designer shiny bathroom). No consideration is given to the technical complexity, setting out and execution of design as this is not understood by general public.

So maybe as cap'n says, make it view only in the main forums

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i thinhk captain slows idea is good,veiw only in the main forum but only arms members can enter,this would be a positive move for the forum imo:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

OK.. sorry about that.. i restarted the poll after mike made a wrong vote.

please vote again..

This is just a debate and deffo not something we will do if not wanted.

W

White Room

My view is you need good work to aspire to, so anyone starting up can see standards that they need to reach, myself included have been amazed at the quaility that some guys show.

To find fault is the easiest thing to find, not knowing the situation of how the job was conducted.

Open to the main forum and give everyone a chance but don't slaughter them for trying, just good advise to steer in the right direction.

T

Time's Ran Out

I lost 3 times to shiney floors before winning with my 4th entry.
If that's what's in vogue and the people voting like it that is in itself telling us something.
A nice shiney floor with lips and deflected lines isn't going to win and the skill in making them perfect is to be admired.
I do like your idea for voting and viewing only.

T

Tenchman

I agree post for view only in general keep it for pro entries only that way as Capn Slow says we can then get aspirations up for up & coming and won't be swamped with shiny tile bathrooms.:hurray:

D

DHTiling

To make it view only in the main forums then ALL entries must come from a users albums in his/her profiles.

If an entry is made via attachents in the tilers arms then it can not be viewed outside of the arms as the pic will keep linking back to the jotm thread in the arms if you get what i mean, thus the user will get the error message if they do not have access to the arms..

So not as straight forward that way.

C

Colour Republic

OK.. sorry about that.. i restarted the poll after mike made a wrong vote.

please vote again..

This is just a debate and deffo not something we will do if not wanted.

Did you change the question too Dave?

"Do you think JOTM thread should be aired in the main forums?"

if aired means just viewing then yes from me:thumbsup:

D

Daz

Mark, we have already agreed that "constructive advise" is not permitted in JOTM. How do you provide "good advise to steer in the right direction" without contradicting forum rules?

Reply to JOTM thread. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen