Search the forum,

Discuss Is It A Good Time To Start Doing Exterior Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ChiversTiling

Hi all pros

Had a look at a job that is 28m2 patio laying 600x600 Porcelain that will need SLC as concrete looks uneven in places going by the look of it as didn't have my levels on me at the time

The weather an't all that atm only time I could start it be in a months time but by then the frost will start kicking in, would ya gamble on hoping the weather will hold of or waiting till summer comes?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
I layed 30 to 40 metres on the entrance ramp to my brother's hotel in January. It's on the seafront and open to the elements. Wasn't keen to do it but it's the only time the hotel is closed. Even posted a thread on here about it. Spoke with TileMaster at the time and used Ultimate (solid bed, back buttered, obviously) and Grout 3000 and covered it each night. I realise it's not been down a year yet but it looks no different now than it did after its final wash down. I'd always advise the client to wait but sometimes it's not possible.

A

antded

Just finished the Victorian path, as per previous post. Tiled in 3 days, but took nearly a fortnight with prep, rained off days etc. Temperatures were very mild for time of year with night temps no lower than 5degC. In my humble opinion, wait for the Spring...... oh and make sure you choose a suitable exterior levelling compound ha ha.
I would use Tilemaster Ultimate, excellent product

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
LEYLAND
Big problem here will be the frost (-4 this morning). If the adhesive and grout is exposed to frost before it has had time to fully set they may start to crumble so it will need protecting. Also check out the SLC you are going to use as not all are suitable for outside use. Many concrete slabs outdoors do not have a DPM under them which will cause the damp to rise through the slab and can "blow" the SLC off the surface which in turn will cause the tiles to come loose.

Reply to Is It A Good Time To Start Doing Exterior Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement