Currently reading:
Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door?

Discuss Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Alright, not tiling, but some of you are clever with tools and build all sorts - so wanted to throw it out there.

Basically, as my workshop is in my garage and I would like to let natural light in in the winter I was wondering if anyone would be able to fit me a window into the single layer metal up and over garage door. I want to insulate the door anyhow, with cerotex boards before the winter, but a secure window would be great, facing the light drive, rather than knocking a hole in the side wall which would face a darker corner anyhow.

I found this American site who seems to sell garage window inserts separately, haven't found one (yet) in the UK, but you get the idea, and of course it would have to look good. Decorative garage doors windows inserts, beveled & faux leaded glass from Windsor Door

If anyone could cope with any shape window, I'd be quite happy to design something, I have the ideas, but there is NO way my husband would let me attack a perfectly good garage door with a grinder! :lol:

Alternatively, if any of you know of a company in the UK which sell window kits, that would be very welcome, too, any ideas basically to make it happen and wouldn't break the bank. I looked at garage door prices with windows already fitted and nearly blacked out, not possible right now, no, Siree!

Thanks for taking the time to read this - perhaps it's even a bit of a business idea for someone? :)

U

user123

tfs, thanks for replying and good idea about the roof, but I do have a ceiling in there with storage above, so a roof light is not an option. Blacksmith.. hmm, to my mind, you see, it's quite easy really, cut the whole, rivet in an L shaped aluminum frame to accept the glass from inside, silicone adhesive in, put in acrylic glass with rubber surround, strengthen if need be with an interor frame, silicone again, done! Just like that. :) If I was on my own to be honest I think I'd have a go, take the risk and just get another door ( I really can't afford so failure would not be an option) but I would get SO told off, and I don't really have the time either, with commission deadlines etc.

Caravans have windows, don't they, can't be that hard?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You don't want an up and over window. If it looses strength and pops out (those doors are corrugated to add strength, take a section out and they'll warp).

Be clever and build a timber fram, plasterboard the inside, tile the outside with some art, and stick a window in that. But make it so that when the garage door is shut, it looks shut and normal. But when the garage door is open, it looks like you have a wall there (sort of). Not sure if it would take space out of the garage though, it depends on the hinge on your door I guess. You might need to have a foot or so missing from the top of your wall but you could always call that ventilation. The rain wouldn't get in there.

U

user123

Hmmmm... I can see the point you are all making. All very sensible.

Replace with windowed wall instead, re Dave - it's a persimmon housing estate and ANY alteration needs planning permission, (as mentioned before we can't even paint the house a different colour to that grotty grey I thought was just unfinished...) not for a different kind of garage door though, so a wall would be a lengthy process. Also, I love having the door open in the summer. And the huge access is really handy for large mosaics to go in an out.

Also we are fortunate enough to have two garages side by side, so keeping things matching is another issue.

That takes it to Dan's idea which would be clever and perfect except that the opening angle is pretty huge, it;s a Hörmann Garage door I read on the label, I'd loose a fair bit of precious space AND my fusebox and double power point and light switch are just inside the garage door, all that would be another added headache.

So you guys are saying that the garage doors with windows already in them are more likely specially reinforced?

The rooflights, Neale, not a bad idea, not quite what I want though either.

Thanks for your input so far, back to the drawing board then, or win the lottery for two matching new doors that tick all my boxes....

U

user123

U

user123

You don't want to be cutting any whole in that.

Discussing it on here with everybody, you do realize, has assured peace in the house? :lol:

This is what I want really, it's a Hörmann as well, The Garage Door King . Hormann llkley 2101 maybe it's possible to get just the front cheaper, as the frame and system is already in place, that's what I'm thinking and will find out, and then I'll wait for the buy one get one free offer, oh and maybe a slightly shop soiled one or something... :lol: I shall put it in my magic hat.:)

goodluckrainbow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

Can't you use some decent actual lighting in there? LED lights or something? Save the big maul?

The strip lights I have had put in are great and well placed, where I wanted them, it's not too dark, I just don't like being in there all day without natural light, that's all, it's nice to be able to look out and see who's coming to the house, and see deliveries arrive, stuff like that.

More pleasant for teaching, too, students having to spend the day in an enclosed garage isn't a blissful experience for them.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Plenty of windows available for converting panel vans into campervans. These are strong and self supporting and designed to be fitted into thin metal panels. Easy to fit with a jigsaw. Only problems are depth of ribbing in door and weight of window upsetting the balance of the door but the spring tension can be adjusted to compensate. Time to get your jigsaw out!!

Its more to do with the fact that if you A) cut a whole in that door and then add weight it'll warp. And B) once it's warped you have glass over your head when the door is open and it's likely to warp enough to hit you.

If you made the door more solid by adding bits A) it'll be heavier to lift and put strain on the hinges which are also flimsy on those doors and B) it'd look naff as you'd have to have some screws or something coming from the other side.

I'm sure I'd be able to make a 'wall' that had an angled bit at the top to allow the door to open still if it was mine. I'll go have a look at mine in a minute (pretty much the same door by the looks of it) and see where my door travels when opening.

Marmox curved thingy-me-bobs would be cool for this as you could mosaic the outside with your ghekkos and that. But then you'd need curved glass or some form of hatch with flat glass. Which wouldn't let light in as well at all as you'd have solid sides blocking the sun somewhere.

U

user123

Plenty of windows available for converting panel vans into campervans. These are strong and self supporting and designed to be fitted into thin metal panels. Easy to fit with a jigsaw. Only problems are depth of ribbing in door and weight of window upsetting the balance of the door but the spring tension can be adjusted to compensate. Time to get your jigsaw out!!

But I might have to get the divorce papers out, too, so that wouldn't do, and if it's not advisable, well, I don't want some grotty DIY SOS disaster, it's a smart house. I will talk to the garage people, you never know they might come up with something else yet. But thanks, you're thinking along my initial lines...

D

DHTiling

The strip lights I have had put in are great and well placed, where I wanted them, it's not too dark, I just don't like being in there all day without natural light, that's all, it's nice to be able to look out and see who's coming to the house, and see deliveries arrive, stuff like that.

More pleasant for teaching, too, students having to spend the day in an enclosed garage isn't a blissful experience for them.

The truth is out... you is a nosey neighbour.. :lol:

T

tfs

Hey, If I lived near you I could have made you a timber version that looks like the door in your link.

You could get a joiner to make double doors from door blanks, yuo can get the grooves routered into the door to create the cladding effect and cut out window opening at the tops. these would ofcourse be two opning doors but they can be made to look like the door in the picture.

Good thing with these door is that they come in sizes up to 1200mm so two of these and the door frame will give you an opening of aything up to just over 2400mm.

Could be a wee project for you and your man?

U

user123

Hey, If I lived near you I could have made you a timber version that looks like the door in your link.

You could get a joiner to make double doors from door blanks, yuo can get the grooves routered into the door to create the cladding effect and cut out window opening at the tops. these would ofcourse be two opning doors but they can be made to look like the door in the picture.

Good thing with these door is that they come in sizes up to 1200mm so two of these and the door frame will give you an opening of aything up to just over 2400mm.

Could be a wee project for you and your man?

Nice idea, but perhpas no cheaper than getting the replacement door with windows in the first place? And wee projects... got enough of those, trust me.. :)

Reply to Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.