Search the forum,

Discuss Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Alright, not tiling, but some of you are clever with tools and build all sorts - so wanted to throw it out there.

Basically, as my workshop is in my garage and I would like to let natural light in in the winter I was wondering if anyone would be able to fit me a window into the single layer metal up and over garage door. I want to insulate the door anyhow, with cerotex boards before the winter, but a secure window would be great, facing the light drive, rather than knocking a hole in the side wall which would face a darker corner anyhow.

I found this American site who seems to sell garage window inserts separately, haven't found one (yet) in the UK, but you get the idea, and of course it would have to look good. Decorative garage doors windows inserts, beveled & faux leaded glass from Windsor Door

If anyone could cope with any shape window, I'd be quite happy to design something, I have the ideas, but there is NO way my husband would let me attack a perfectly good garage door with a grinder! :lol:

Alternatively, if any of you know of a company in the UK which sell window kits, that would be very welcome, too, any ideas basically to make it happen and wouldn't break the bank. I looked at garage door prices with windows already fitted and nearly blacked out, not possible right now, no, Siree!

Thanks for taking the time to read this - perhaps it's even a bit of a business idea for someone? :)

T

tfs

probably easier getting someone to fit a velux windo0 on your roof!

But if your heart is set on something bepoke and metal I would contact a blacksmith to see if they will knock something up for you.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

tfs, thanks for replying and good idea about the roof, but I do have a ceiling in there with storage above, so a roof light is not an option. Blacksmith.. hmm, to my mind, you see, it's quite easy really, cut the whole, rivet in an L shaped aluminum frame to accept the glass from inside, silicone adhesive in, put in acrylic glass with rubber surround, strengthen if need be with an interor frame, silicone again, done! Just like that. :) If I was on my own to be honest I think I'd have a go, take the risk and just get another door ( I really can't afford so failure would not be an option) but I would get SO told off, and I don't really have the time either, with commission deadlines etc.

Caravans have windows, don't they, can't be that hard?

T

tfs

Yeah, it is a pretty easy task if its something basic. Ithough you were wanting something pretty intricate.

If you cut a square opening you could deffo insert a unit of some sort into it easy enough.

My first thought would have been the same thing using angle trim of some sort.

T

tfs

You can get these sort of thing also and extend the tunnel to come throught your upper level.EZ Roof Solatube® 160DS

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Just take the door out and brick up with a window inserted in situ.. much cheaper than bespoke windows.

G

Gazzer

As Dave says for me.
Putting a glass window in a garage door doesn't sound like a good idea. The door will flex when opening and shutting...Glass wont. You could use clear plastic but much cheaper and nicer to do as Dave says.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't want an up and over window. If it looses strength and pops out (those doors are corrugated to add strength, take a section out and they'll warp).

Be clever and build a timber fram, plasterboard the inside, tile the outside with some art, and stick a window in that. But make it so that when the garage door is shut, it looks shut and normal. But when the garage door is open, it looks like you have a wall there (sort of). Not sure if it would take space out of the garage though, it depends on the hinge on your door I guess. You might need to have a foot or so missing from the top of your wall but you could always call that ventilation. The rain wouldn't get in there.

T

tfs

Framing out and putting a door in is what I would go for. I would put a half glazed door at one side with cladding on the other or have french doors.

Not the cheapest of options but.

C

Colour Republic

You do have limited options due to the current construction of the door. Nothing is impossible but it all boils down to cost v quality. got any pics of both the front and rear of the door?

Reply to Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen